Opteron vs. Athlon 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

jebathan

Baseband Member
I currently have an Athlon 64 3200+ with the Winchester Core and was wondering if I would get much of a performance increase if I got an Opteron 148 with the Venus Core. The rest of my hardware is in my sig.

I would look more into the Dual core area.

The dual core opteron models start at 1.8 Ghz with the 165 and Go up .2 Ghz for every model you go up. (ex: 1.8 2.0 2.2 2.4 2.6)The models are: 165, 170, 175, 180, and 185.

I own an opteron dual core, a 175. The only diffrence between an atholon and an opteron is Overclockablility. My Optetron 175 went from 2.2 GHz to 2.8 and 2.9 with some extra voltage.

How much are you looking to spend?

If you just interested in the switch from the winchester core to the venus then no it's not worth it unless you may overclock, but by looking at your ram, I don't think your going to.

Ok thanks alot, I was just curious because I could get an Opteron for about 50 bux and was just wondering if it would be worth it to make the upgrade.

For 50 dollars that's a good deal, IMO. I would take it if you really want a new processor... you can make that thing reach 2.8ghz pretty easily if you are going to overclock... but you would probably want better RAM if you did..

I would go for better RAM first though, if I were you.

I know I need better RAM, do you think I would notice any increase right now though? without better RAM, which I would like to get later on.

Without the RAM(or without an overclock) you probably wouldn't notice much of an increase, maybe only difference is the 512kb cache size to 1mb cache size..

thanks alot guys, I think I'm just going to hold out until I feel like making a major upgrade to dual-core and more and better RAM, possibly a different mobo too and a dvd burner, hmm anyways, thanks for the help again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom