How to Replace Chipset Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

demob05

Baseband Member
Like many others I've heard, I have an ABIT IS7-E motherboard running P4 3.0, and my stock northbridge chipset (Intel 865PE)'s Fan is starting to get noisier and noisier... inspecting it, I could see that the bearings were coming loose.

Anyone have or know how to replace this chipset fan? I assume there's a heatsink under it, and the fan and heatsink maybe a set, just like the main CPUs. If anyone's got easy suggestions, thanks.

well i had an abit nguru and the chipseat fan went out well unfortunatly by the time i realized it was the chipset fan it was to late and the dammage was already done so i replaced it when i called abit and talked to them about the warrenty they were less then helpful when trying to solve the problem so i ripped the board and bought an msi and have had no troubles since i tryed to replace the chipset fan but unfortunatly you cant easily replace the chipset fan good luck if i were you save your self the hassel and just replace the mobo..

Well, finally replaced the northbridge chipset cooler... bought a chipset heatsink/fan from CompUSA, one of their own brands, for $24.00.
The OEM cooler was easier to remove than I thought, much easier than the main CPU cooler set, (just unhooked two latches from the mounts), and put the new one in and plugged molex power supply. Now my rig is nice and quiet. What a difference.

Ever since replacing the (northbridge) chipset cooler, not only is the rig running quieter, but it seems like it's also working better, being more responsive, quicker, and accessing files better. Is this just my imagination, or is there a correlation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom