Comp no longer boots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightrydah

Solid State Member
I have a Asus sli premium mobo with an AMD 4200 cpu, geforce 7800gtx, 2gb ram, 2 sata hds, and a 480w psu.

My computer had been running completely fine but after disconnecting everything and bringing it over to a friend's house, it suddenly does not boot up for some reason. The trip might have been a little bumpy so some wires might have became loose but I have tried unplugging and replugging everything but that still does not fix the problem.

The comp has not had any serious issues(except for the occasional
freeze/crash) ever since I built it about a year ago so I am really puzzled as to why such an issue would suddenly occur.

I spend a lot of time just connecting and disconnecting the wires in hopes that it might just boot up again but that obviously did not work. I then removed my hds, vid card, and ram but that also did not work. I suspected that it might have been the mobo so I switched my cpu over to another mobo I had(yes I reapplied the thermal grease) and I had weird results. The mobo itself with just the cpu actually turned on the cpu fan started spinning and I heard beeps. However, when I reconnected everything, it no longer worked!

I then began trying to pinpoint the problem by removing parts such as the hd, trying to boot, then reconnecting it and trying to boot again. I finally narrowed it down to the IDE cable that connected to the DVD drive. The mobo turned on when it was not connected and did not turn on when it was. After trying it a couple more times, I confirmed it was the IDE cable but when I tried it one last time, it no longer worked!

I then began to wonder if the psu was the problem. After some testing, I found out that the psu powers up an old outdated comp, but not mine so I am not too sure about that.

I also tried clearing the cmos?(or bios) on the mobo but that also did not have an effect.

Even with all my troubleshooting, I still cannot tell whether the problem is the cpu, mobo, or psu. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I read the sticky and it's come down to the cpu but how can I verify this? And if the led on the mobo lights up, is that enough to say that the psu is ok?

I will guess that the motherboard is shorting against the case or case standoffs.

Remove the motherboard to a non-conductive surface, connecting only the power supply connectors (in other words, run the motherboard outside of the case).

are there any burn marks on the plug or the mobo itself were the PS connects to the mobo?

no there aren't any burn marks and i have already tried this mobo along with another outside of the case.

i also have a question, what is essential for a mobo to boot up?
i have been trying with only a cpu installed, no ram, vid card, hd, etc.

well no because if it doesnt even start then its a power supply issue but if u see the fans spin and the mobo led lights on but no POST then yes it can be the Mobo,RAm,video card, or CPU thats causing this issue

it can even be as simple as a dead CMOS battery on the mobo

currently its mobo led lights but no post. fans no longer spin. don't think its the cmos either because i switched mobos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom