"out of room" case mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevytrucknut

In Runtime
:D I've run out of room. I have no more room for hard drives in my case, and rather than buying a new case (because it probably couldn't keep everything cool, I'm just going to put a hole in the top of my case, run the SATA and power cables up through the roof, and put my new hard drives in a little box upstairs. Question is, how much cooling do you think I will need? Should one 120mm fan suffice? maybe a 92? and should I go with front to back cooling or side to side? I'll be *almost* completely fabricating this, so crazy designs are welcomed :) Thanks.

Stephen

So, basically you're going to attach a box ontop of the case?

If so, I would put one 120mm intake, and then one 120mm exhaust. The exhaust you might attach to one of the motherboard's 3-pin outlets, so you can control the fanspeed with your motherboard.

yea.

Regarding the fans, I'm probably going to have to keep them on the PSU power, because I've run out of those spots too. Maybe a bigger PSU is in order as well...

You don't need 2 fans. 1 will do just fine, and if the box is open and your temps are fine, you don't need any fans.

Yes, 1 fan should be good. As long as you have a exhaust fan somewhere in the case you should be fine.

lol, sounds like my old case: hd pavilion 7940 (matx) msi mobo, 1.6ghz(1.3 stock) oced p3, 1gb ram, 4hd's + 2 cd's, 2graphics cards, and a ide controller thingy. i took the floppy out, and put 3 of the hdd's in the 3.5 rack, put the cd's in, and drilled holes in to the front of the case and mounted the hdd to the front of the case using the holes on the bottom of the hdd.

but the external box sounds like a pretty good idea. what r u gonna make it out of?

and just a queston. just what exactly do u have in that case?

external hard rive case? u can jus buy them on newegg.though i must say ur idea sounds more creative and fun.as far as cooling one 120 mm intake and an 80mm exhaust for air flow should suffice. u should design it like a intake on a car hood just for style. good luck and post pics when u finish i am interested in seeing ur design

yea, I could buy it on Newegg, and spend $30 on something I'm going to make for free.

I plan on finding an old case at the end of it's life, cut out the hard drive bay area, put a fan on the cover, then maybe use the siding of the case (if it's metal) to make a cover for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom