Changing the motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuaz

In Runtime
Hello all,

Im getting a new motherboard so i can update it to use PCI:E Graphics

Is moving the processor etc to another board, an easy task?

Stu

yes it is if u ground urself, dont touch the CPU's pins, dont put it in the wrong side, and put a new layer of thermal paste then ull be fine

It can be a major project, but a good learning experience. After removing the old motherboard, you will need to remove the fan and heatsink from the processor. Do this with some care because sometimes they stick together. I'm assuming you are using the same processor. If so, you will want to clean off the old thermal compound on your processor and apply fresh compound (arctic silver). The new motherboard may need new memory. After everything is hooked up again, windows may freak when it wakes up with a new board. A repair windows installation may be needed. . . but I've usually gotten better results with fresh windows installs after a motherboard upgrade.

Have fun with it!

Fresh install of windows is always the best option. But if you don't want to spend hours customizing Windows, just boot from your old installation. It works most of the time. You should still back up all important files before switching the motherboard, just in case Windows doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom