Power supply or motherboard problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kchan99

Beta member
Here's the story with my computer...

After about 90 minutes of use, my computer shuts itself off. If I want to turn it back on, I have to wait a while and hit the power button (I haven't tried the reset.). This started happening after a installed a reconditioned 400 W power supply. I obtained this power supply from a relative who greased the motor on the fans.

This reconditioned power supply is a replacement for a power supply that I used for 4 or 5 years. I had to replace the old power supply (250 W) because it was making loud noises.

I have not had any other problems with the reconditioned power supply. I did not have any problems with my computer until the old power supply started making an abnormal noise.

Do you think the problem with my computer shutting itself off is due to the power supply or the motherboard?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Well same thing happens with me except my computer doesnt shut off in 90 minutes it can stay on all night with out shuting off but it starts shuting off when i play a demanding game like for example black and white 2 or WOW not very demanding but compared with warcraft3 they are which is the only game my pc doesnt shut off with....i think u have the same problem as me ur using more watts than your peak load but i wont be able to tell until u tell me your specs? :D.....and also did u check too see if all your connectors are connected properly i remember i once didnt connect the motherboard power cable correctly once.

The capacitors on the mobo look fine.

A friend of mine suggested that it might be the CPU temperature. The CPU fan looks like it is working; the heatsink doesn't feel warm when I opened the case after the computer turned itself off. BIOS does not monitor the CPU temperature.

The thermal pad or paste on the heatsink was installed 4 to 5 years ago when I built the computer. I cannot tell if it is pad or paste. Will the substance dry up over time?

I have a P3 CPU.

kchan99 said:
Here's the story with my computer...

After about 90 minutes of use, my computer shuts itself off. If I want to turn it back on, I have to wait a while and hit the power button (I haven't tried the reset.). This started happening after a installed a reconditioned 400 W power supply. I obtained this power supply from a relative who greased the motor on the fans.

This reconditioned power supply is a replacement for a power supply that I used for 4 or 5 years. I had to replace the old power supply (250 W) because it was making loud noises.

I have not had any other problems with the reconditioned power supply. I did not have any problems with my computer until the old power supply started making an abnormal noise.

Do you think the problem with my computer shutting itself off is due to the power supply or the motherboard?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Well, it's surely PSU if you are using a P4 CPU.
P4 processor needs more power from your PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom