Format Gone Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardtoobs

Beta member
G'day, i recently formatted my computer after what i think it was infected by a virus. Anyway this is the story i formatted it by using Windows Xp Home Edition, it seems formatting went well but now everytime i start up it gets to the 2nd loading screen and says "Error Loading Operating System" anyway i changed something in bios so it loads on 1st cdrom 2nd hardrive in stead of loading 1st floppy 2nd hardrive 3rd cdrom which gave me the "error loading operating system" message. so now i can get into boot from cd, anyway i try and load xp on freshly now, delete the existing partition and make a new 1 at default size, and instal it then, anyway after a couple of hrs it finishes and comes up saying, failed loading disk may be damaged, now ive tried more then 1 xp disks it cant be the disk is damaged, then it reads "....if the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated...."
i hav no idea wat that is or how to fix it.. <---- is that the problem ???
or is it something else ? id apreciate anyhelp ty for reading and commenting cheers, Blake :)

are you sure it's referring to your install disk ?

if you've tried several xp disks it is possibly talking about your hard drive being damaged....

It means your hard-drive, not your XP cd.

If you can't get it to work, before shelling out the money for a new drive, try this:

Throw your CD in and boot from it. Delete all exsisting partitions, and create a 4 - 5GB partition. Now, create another partition. This second partition is what you will install XP on, so make it as big as you want.

So, basically, you should have:
C: - 4 - 5GB
D: - This is where you install XP

You can, of course, create more partitions if you like.

The reason for this, is, sometimes the drive can get bad sectors right where the first bit of data would be. If this is the case, things won't read/write properly and your OS, since it's the first thing on there, won't work. So, by bypassing that first bit of space, it may work.

P.S. You want the HDD to boot first in most cases, unless you want to boot from a CD directly.

ok il give it a go - so when everything becomes sweet again, should i change it back to the default boot up sequence
1-floppy
2-hardrive
3-cdrom
or .. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom