Sudden over heating, need ideas/help

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedtrucker

Beta member
first off.

AMD +2800 barton (aero cool phantom, copper heatsinks)
gigabyte ga7n400 pro2
1gig ram 333mhz
200gig Western D. hdd
6 case fans, 2 psu fans 550psu
nvidia geforce3 ti200
windows xp pro

ok, so my problem is that just recently my computer has decided to shut down while playing a game or things of that nature. didnt take me more than 2 times to realize that it was the temp of the cpu. but i am completely shocked and was so when i used speedfan and it came up with temp3 reading at 75 degrees celsius. (no not FH, but C) needless to say i havent been doing much on the comp since i found that out. even bios has shown it running at 79C once after a reboot.

i took my comp apart and pieced it back together resetting my bios. it still is running at 75C every time i crank her up now. i have a decent airflow through my case and all my fans are running at full speed. i did use thermal paste when setting the heatsink, although not artic silver. but even then, would that be the difference between my computer running on average of 45C for the past 6 months and now running 30 degrees higher?

anyways i'm stuck right now and need some ideas, tips, hints, suggestions, questions, answers.

btw, my xp is fully updated as are most of my drivers.

absolutely baffled at the 30degree spike that i've got going on now.

speedfan readings as i post this

temp3 - 77C
temp2 - 31C
temp1 - 39C
hdd -30C

Some time I get that gut feeling were I don't trust what the BIOS is telling me. Like earlier this year, I had 2 Duron 1300 running at 90c. And I did see another computer tell me that a Athlon 1700 was at 145c.

So I some times..... CAREFULLY.... just keep a look out of some of the other signs of over heating. Eg. Unstable Operating System.

Another good test is to level a thermometer in side the case, and then not the difference between what the BIOS is tells you, and hate the thermometer is tells me.

that is why i am really uncomfortable about it.

my computer runs fine, i havent overclocked it or anything, but it has shutdown after 3 long beeps three times now.

it doesnt slow down, skip or lockup for anything. can play just about any game or use most any software i have, btw my computer shut down while playing a half-life mod everytime. but it wasnt a crash, of the normal crash type.

my heatsinks dont feel(not to the touch, but placing my fingers pretty close) extremely hot, the case and exhaust is no hotter than it ever was.

any ideas from you fellas?

also what are the temp zones in speedfan,
temp3 - ???
temp2 - ???
temp1 - ???
hdd - obvious

readings at time of post, computer has been on for no more than 2 minutes.
temp3- 77C
temp2- 32C
temp1- 31C
hdd- 25C

Monster00 said:
i think at 75 degrees C, it would of went boom ;p

The offical word for AMD Aust. is 80c.

However, I still worry when things are getting to be around the 55c Mark when it's not doing any thing.

speedtrucker i think the problem is your motherboard thermal probe is faulty since you have such a dramatic increase in temp readings and the heatsink doesn't feel hot. if possible replace/return your motherboard or set your max temp to 80-85C and ignore the temps. you can also buy a harware thermal probe for about $20-30 on newegg. it attaches to the bottom of the CPU directly below the CPU die. the temps can be read from the LCD display. this will show you the true temperature of your processor

ok i have found 'a' problem with it. somehow my heatsink became unseated, so i cleaned it and applied artic silver and reseated it.

now my temp is running at an average of 49C, idle at 47C. can yall think of anything else that might be causing it to still run a bit hot? my bios reads at around 45C on bootup, but speed fan has it at 47-49C. i guess i am looking in the wrong areas but what are/is the 'suggested' idle temp and workload temp?

thanks for the help so far guys.

my 3000+ runs at around 55 degrees celsius .. room temperatre is 82 degrees farenheight ... So I think 49 is good enough for your processor :)

hmm... do u have thermal paste on it? That would make it cooler... you can see if u can get a faster CPU fan. Or thermaltake makes some cool cpu fans and some cool cpu fan mods you can put on there to make it cooler. Go to www.thermaltake.com and check them out.

new question, i want to buy a thermaltake ducting mod but i have an aerocool phantom fan on my cpu. will the mounting screws match up with the ducting mod? every place that sells them says it is for the volcano7(i believe) fan.

anyways if any of you have a clue on this, could you help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom