RAM Overclocking Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naatae

Solid State Member
I have recently upgraded my RAM from Corsair XMS DDR400 to Ballistix DDR500. I am running on an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo and had no troubles overclocking with my Corsiar RAM(other then some stablility issues). But now that i have the Ballistix RAM if i try to raise the frequency of my cpu then Windows wont boot, it just gets stuck on the loading screen. It doesn't matter what cpu settings i change, windows wont boot.
Does anyone know the issue? Is it my RAM or maybe my motherboard?
Ill take any suggestions at this point, I'm stumped

Certainly:

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Link
RAM: Crucial Technology 2GB DDR 500 Link
Old RAM: CORSAIR XMS 2GB DDR 400 Link
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Link

Need anything else?

Hmm

Do you still have the old ram? If so use that then download Memtest98 and boot off it with your new memory.

Link to memtest86 Hey that tickles!

If you dont have spare memory and your motherboard dosent have Memtest89 on it, Then see if you have any others you could try.

If you can get memtest running go thru tests 5 + 8 and let it go all night and if it passes we will look elsehwere and if it fails your memory is bad.

Also, if you need any tips or aren't sure what to do, ask away.

Alright sounds like a plan
I'll run Memtest98 tonight and post the results tomorrow
Wish me luck!

isn't the old ram better anyway ? it is more expensive in those links...

+ it has lower latencies which makes it better ? i thought atleast.
the 100mhz speed wouldnt compensate for the latencies if correct.

i'm probably wrong though

the Ballistix DDR500 is better. frequency matters more unless the timings are horrible. of course if it's possible to get DDR500 at say 2-2-2-5 and you compare it to DDR500 at 2-3-3-6 the 2-2-2-5 will get more bandwidth. i recall in a bandwidth test i scored something like 60mb/s higher than someone else when we were both running the memory at DDR500 on similar rigs. the main difference was that i had mine at 2-2-2-5 but someone at only DDR507 completely eclipsed my bandwidth score.

it's probably either bad memory or settings problems, perhaps the latencies or voltage settings are being retained?

Alright so i ran Memtest for 8 hours last night on my Ballistix RAM and it didn't come up with any errors
So any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom