New laptop maintainence

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
Im not sure if this is the correct spot for the post...but here goes.
Gf just got a brand new espiron e1505..somthin lik that.
Its a 2 gb ram, 1.6 ghz 2mb cash, x1400 hyper memory.

Im a beginner, i want to hav this pc to have the perfect necessary stuff in the pc and remove all the crap it comes with lik aol..etc. Could i get a good suggestion on what softwares to keep at let go. So for im not sure if i shud let go of pc cillin and get avg free edition. I deleted aol...i hate it.
Not sure if i shud keep norton ghost, because i want her to have a backup prog incase of errors, virus. I got her ad aware personal, spybot. Please i want her to ahve a good stable connection for the interenet and good decent softwares to go by the day.
Thanks

you can get rid of AOL, all the trial stuff... Office, money, works, etc... if you want...

you can also get rid of MSN explorer (keep the I.E. for updates) MS messenger, outlook express (if you have another mail program)

for freebies I have:

Spybot
Ad Aware
Antivir
Zone Alarm Free

On my laptop, I downloaded all the drivers for my lappy, then I completely reloaded windows using the dell resource disk, so I would get rid of all the extra stuff they throw on it... but that takes a lot more time than you might want to take...

Just some thoughts...

I bought this brand new laptop from ebay. Problem is, it never came with a recovery disk. SO is there a way to buy it? Would you suggest i keep pc cillin, or get avg free edition. And it comes with sonic dvd burning. I already have the nero edition cd. Should i giv her that or keep the sony stuff?

you can load it with a windows disk... it doesn't have to be the brand disk... I got rid of all that stuff and used hte same stuff I use on my desktops and wife's laptop...

If you load it with a windows disk...where would I get one from, and wouldn't it be illegal to dl one? And what about the cd key.

And i still havnt got advice on whicih ani virus is better...avg free or pc cillin.

Technically, if you have a liscense for that OS, it would not be illegal to download a CD of the exact version.

Is the XP liscense sticker on the bottom of the laptop, or did it come with it? The CD key will be on that sticker.

i found the key. they are so many diff xp media edition versions on torrents. Is their one that coulld be the best. And would I have to backup any thing before formatting. I do know i would have to back up the drivers folder. But is their anything else? And once i can get teh cd.
Would you suggest i reformat the brand new laptop again? and start fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom