Is it bad turning pc off by mains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that doesn't always work, they may be designed to go back to the LZ but sometimes they won't go back to the landing zone. And it is true, the heads do float on air.

charles_scott said:
But that doesn't always work, they may be designed to go back to the LZ but sometimes they won't go back to the landing zone. And it is true, the heads do float on air.

It will always land on the Landing Zone, except for very very old disks (probably pre-EIDE).
They "land" in the same way when you pull the plug as they would if they receive a "power off" command from the system.
If they wouldn't, half of the US residents would have to replace they hard disk every few months or so, with all those power outages :p

I am sure there are some designs that will eventually fail, that and it's just possible to cause damage when writing data to the drive and you shut it down.

Vista has some really cool security feature for related problems. It's called Transactional File System or something. It is not a file system, but some sort of process that manages disk activities.

molsen said:
i think your real danger is the possibility of unstable power when you pull the plug out from the power supply. that can't be good.

PSU's have minimum voltage and maximum voltage regulation, so it won't really hurt anything.

molsen said:
it won't hurt the psu?

I guess not. I've ben cutting off the mains with all of my AT computers, and none of the PSU's died. I even had short circuits on my power molexes. PSU automatically shut off, and after a few minutes it would work on again.

what you guys are failing to mention is that doing a hard shut down is horrible for windows. when you shut down correctly, windows has a chance to dump all of the system files back where they are supposed to be. turning off your pc like that can corrupt windows. and we all know how easily windows corrupts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom