older mobo, 233, max HD to be used??

Status
Not open for further replies.

novatoasv

Solid State Member
this was posted from an answer 2 years ago, from another forum. PLEASE NEED YOR INPUT!!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE

Accer mobo, 233 MHZ, 128 memory, windows 98se, sound blaster card,
2mb video card (all worked good before HD took dirtnap)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Power usage for 233 mhz, limited by hard drive,

As far as power:

Given the changes in the system, it may be a bit of a plug it in and try it type of situation. As long as your system can read the hard drive then you should be ok. Some older motherboards are effected by a 8.4gig limit.. that is to say they can only read the first 8.4gigs of the drive. Sometimes this can be cleared by a bios patch for your motherboard (or a download if the system is from a major manufacturer). Also, if the system using something below Windows 2000 there are some programs you can get (often from the hard drive manufacturer's website) that will get you past the 8.4gig limit. Many IDE controller cards also get you past the limit as well.

older mobo, 233, max HD to be used??

hello, i thought that i would give some info to the previous person
responding "demalii" btw- thanks "microbell" for the info, you are at least more educated in the area more than my self.

an update from a good source:

Depending on the age of the Bios, is where you land for the hard drive size. Prior to 1996, the max was 2.3 Gb. If 1997 or earlier than 1999, you should be able to use up to 12 Gb, if the cylinder/head/sector count is acceptable. After 1999, there was a 30 Gb limit on most systems. Today, it is up to 120 Gb or higher. If you cannot find a new 20 Gb hard drive to use with it, then you will have to go with a 30 Gb unit and use the 'mask overlay' program to enable the system to utilize the entire hard drive size. Try with a 20 or 30 Gb hdd, and use a Win 98SE boot/service disk. Do the [fdisk] routine, and say NO to the creation of a maximum partition size. Note the amount shown on the rerun, and if less than 4 Gb, change the last digit to one less than what is displayed (ie, if shown max as 12345 mb, then sub with 12344 mb) for the primary partition. Then create an extended partition from the remaining space, and create drives within this as required to utilize the entire disk space. You can have up to six drives, without suffereing system performance loss. Going above drive "J" is going to draw down system resources. Also, your OS version is to be considered in the 'resurrection' process. If you have a Win 95 OSR 3, or Win 98, there should be few problems. XP will run on your system, but slow. Try increasing the memory size to at least 256 Mb or higher. Have found 64 Mb Simms on Ebay for reasonable price. There are 128 Mb Simms, but may not work with your system.

Most manufacturers of newer HDs include software that works around the older compatibility issues. However, you take a gigantic performance hit for using it. However, on a P233 MMX, you'd probably never notice.

For example, I have a 40 Gb Maxtor drive that I pulled out of a 66 MHz bus system.

On that system, with the Maxtor software fixing the BIOS issue, the drive benched about 3 Mb/s seek , and 2 Mb/s write.

Plopped into a 100 MHz system that fully supports the HD, the benches were 22 Mb/s seek and 19 Mb/s write.

hello, the bios (read from the sticker)
says:AWARD PCI/PNP 586 SERIAL # 102258327 @1997 AP5T R1.60

I CAN SUPPLY A DIGITAL PIC OF PNP/PCI " CHART IN THE MOBO BOOK"
there is 36 pages, from chapter 3 on " AWARD BIOS "

I HAVE TO REFRESH MY MEMORY FOR ALL OF THIS INFO............

THE CHIP SET IS AN " INTEL 233 w/MMX TECH " FROM WHAT I CAN SEE.

4 PCI SLOTS - 3 ISA SLOTS - 4 SIMM SLOTS -

2 DIMM SLOTS - 64 BIT SDRAM, FOR WHICH I HAVE (2) DOUBLE-SIDED
64 MB MEMORY 168 PIN.

256KB/512 Cache, ACPI, Ultra DMA/33MHZ

this is what i can obtain by looking at the mobo book and the physical mobo.
AGAIN, GREAT INFO, NOW FIGURE OUT AND PURCHASE WHAT I NEED TO GET RUNNING AGAIN. ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME. BLAKE

the bios has an update on it. VERSION R1.83.....HOW DO I DO THIS UPDATE AND IF SOMEONE WAS TO LOOK AT THIS SITE, DOES THE BIOS INFO GIVE YOU THE INFO TO SELECT A HARD DRIVE SIZE???????

http://download.aopen.com.tw/downloads/default.asp?firtime=1&keyword=
BIOS&searchoption=keyword&sel=category&optionfun=typefun

AP5TCategoryVersionLanguageFile SizeReleased Date
BIOSR1.83English231KB2002/09/20 [Property] [Download now]
# Checksum E39Dh
# Supports EzRestore.

[EzRestore]
R1.70ci BetaEnglish274KB2002/07/25 [Property] [Download now]
# Fixes Win95 screen smashing during POST if PS2 mouse is installed.
# Supports BIOS Multi-Language function through all POST stages.
# Fixes the system hangs randomly while verifying DMI pool.
R1.82 English274KB1999/08/27 [Property] [Download now]
# Compatible with UDMA-66 HDD (Note: Even so the transfer mode is still UDMA-33 max.)
# Binary file ap5t182.bin, checksum 1FDDh
N/AEnglish274KB1999/08/27 [Property] [Download now]
N/A
R1.80 English274KB1998/08/20 [Property] [Download now]
# Gets rid of noise on screen in Setup menu.
# Supports IDT WinChip CPUs; show either "IDT WinChip 2" or "IDT WinChip 2-3D" depending on whether 3D feature exists or not.
# Recognizes AMD-K6(tm)-2 CPUs
# Recognizes AMD-K6(tm)-3 CPUs Note: This BIOS supports K6-2/K6-III by recognizing CPU ID. But the hardware design of this motherboard and Intel TX chipset is still rated at 66MHz with the possibility to overclock to 83MHz. It is not the tandard clock specification of K6-2/K6-III. The stability cannot be guaranteed.
# Supports USB keyboard of new spec.
# Completes CPU frequency table.
# Supports Cyrix M-II/IBM 6x86MX CPUs, which will be shown as both Cyrix M-II and IBM/6x86MX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom