Power supply question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaolindrunkard

Beta member
Hi everyone, I have a question.

I recently purchase a dell optiplex gx50 motherboard with a 1.1ghz, and 256mb ram. Its on its way right now, i havent recieved it yet. I'm using it for a project and I dont need to fit it in the original case. Anyway, the power supply for the mobo is available on ebay, but its considerably more expensive than a standard atx power supply, I think this is because its a small form factor so that it will fit into the gx50 case. NOw the gx50 power supplys seem to have a standard 20 pin connector on them to connect main power to the mobo. However, from what I can see from pictures the colors on the wires are different than most standard power supplys, my question is, do you think its just a dell thing and I can use any atx power supply or must I use the gx50 power supply. Also its a socket 370. I have seen on ebay some power supplys that say they support socket 370, I wonder if these will definetly work.

a standard PSU will work... I do it all the time with Dell's as long as the case you are using is an aftermarket case you'll be good.

Even if the wire colors are different? I'm just a bit worried about frying the mobo by putting wrong voltages into the wrong pins. I see a bunch of power supplys that say they work for specific brands, thats why I want to make sure.

The newer Dells use a different pin arrangement in the ATX plug, to prevent you from buying an aftermarket PSU.

I believe you can change the pin arrangement to match that of Dells, but I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom