Hard Drive wont even Boot up!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedz

Beta member
Alright guys I am new to the board ands looks like I can learn a lot hear and get some good info, but my problem is that i can not even turn on my computer. My computer had been running fine and all of sudden I boot up the computer once it gives me the blue screen saying that you need to run chkdsk and that stuff and I was going to when I went to restart it I shut down the power strip and then turned that back on and hit the swtich on the case nothing happens. I have a clear side on my case and immediatly after i hit the "on" switch on the case the processor fan kicks on and then shuts down immediatly and I then have no power. I plugged in my old hard drive that i had lying around and just booted up normally. What do you think the problem is and how can i fix it thanks a lot guys
Pete

Have you . . .

tried booting from your CD-ROM? or Floppy?
Sounds like your HD might be kaput . . . . .
See if you can boot to DOS and run "chkdsk.exe" on the drive, or if, in fact, your computer is even able to read the HD at all form DOS.

I'd say if you can boot from other sources besides your HD, then your HD failed.

My 2 cents . . .

Shmoo

Its not that the computer will not even turn on with teh hard drive plugged in.

what? that doesnt make any sense. A comp will at least go into bios without a hdd.

I thought u said it had a blue screen?

ill help as best i can... just confused lol

If I'm not mistaken, I THINK he's saying that when his new HDD is plugged in, he gets NO power. The fan on the supply turns and then shuts off again. When he put his OLD drive in, it function normally and booted with no problems. Is that right??? Got to tell us something. Maybe another power supply is needed? Give us specs and the power supply wattage. Also, make sure the HDD is set to cable select. Anyhow, we need details about your system.

also, just for grins, try plugging straight into the wall and see if it'll power up that way.... that would suck if after all that it was just a d@mn power strip... and it would be the easiest route to go first....

sounds like the hard disk died on you. try testing it on another computer, if it doesn't spin up than you will have your answer

Well I just did on another computer and it does the same thing. Killians you had it right. Any suggestions, the freaking thing is shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom