Hello all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankd14321

Solid State Member
Hey Everyone,

Ok... I have a computer here that is a P-3 system with 256 and a 80gig HD and external Video.. The mother board is a Abit BX133

Here is my issue..

It was runing just fine with Windows 98 but it needed a re-format, so I decided to put Windows XP Service pack 2 on it. I proceded to format it as normal, everything went fine... Than upon boot up to windows install screen it "system haulted"

I rebooted many times... nothing changed.. I noticed the LED light is RED... I don't know if that means anything. I don't know if it was RED when it was working.

Now the wierd thing now, is it won't boot from a CD... I tried swaping CD drives, HD, and taking out the sound card and Eithernet Card... and nothing changed.

Thank you,

Frank

Ok lets start over. Put your fastest cd drive in and put it on it's own cable on the secondary IDE channel, and set the jumpers on it to master. Now set the jumpers on your hdd to master and put it on the Primary ide cable (blue connector on mobo) both are by them self's on the cable. Now go into your bios and make sure you are set to boot from cdrom first. With a real xp cd boot from it and delete all the partitions and format quick (ntfs) the whole hdd and install xp to the new partition.

If after that you still can't boot from cd then clear your cmos and/or pull the mobo battery.

Still a no go... It changed nothing, and I reset the cmos like you said if all elts failed.. and nothing... Basically when it gets to the black screen right before it will go to the xp splash screen, normally computers say to boot from CD press any key... well this skips that step... and I changed the bios of course and everything.

Yes it's an offical XP service pack 2 CD with unlimted use... I work for a school. haven't had a problem like this before.

I tryed a official windows 98 cd also and nothing.

And it's skipping the boot from CD step all together like it would if it didn't have a CD drive in the computer, but I have tried 3 different onces, and it scans and reads it.

yup. sure is... Believe me I am fooled too, I have built over 500 computers from scratch and have repaired many more and have never had this problem... Could it be the motherboard?

can u hear the cd drive spin or see the led light blink?

try formatting the HD in a different system and the setting it to master on the PC ur working on. if that doesnt work ur gonna hav to run some test on the HD.
wat type of HD is it?

the red LED light that is on or blinking randomly means that the HD is reading or writing on its disks.

No the RED LED is on the Motherboard it's self.. I have swaped HD's already, sorry if my last messages where unclear... It's not the HD.. I am thinking a Motherboard should do the trick.. thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom