selling old laptop, what steps do i need to take to uninstall everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
kfc469 said:
I wasnt talking to just you, I was talking to the guy who started this thread also, because he didnt really know much about the whole process.
Well I knew what that means. sorry then if you weren't talking to me.

lancec2c30 said:
but if he doesnt formatting erase the OS also? and if he doenst have a disk wouldnt it become a useless laptop??
Whatever utility you use, just make sure it's set to do the wipe more than one time. You can never completely erase all the data on the HDD, but you can make it nearly impossible for anyone who isn't in the government to get that data back. ;)

kfc469 said:
I think the FBI/CIA repeat this process something like 17 times before they deem their computers data free when they are selling them to the general public.

If they think that 17 times is enough then I think that that will be more than enough for you.

the government standard is 7, but most people can't get by powermax wiping it once

EricB said:
the government standard is 7, but most people can't get by powermax wiping it once
Have you done your powermax thing? Does completely erase the hole hard drive? And why do you have to put it on a disk first before you can use it?

cichlidkeeper91 said:
Have you done your powermax thing? Does completely erase the hole hard drive? And why do you have to put it on a disk first before you can use it?

yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom