2 Important Questions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chubz

Banned
Ok, for the first:

How hard is it to put RAM in and get it working? I know how to get it in the slot and stuff, but do you just get it in the slot, then turn on your computer, and it works? Also, to add to that is the question, I am adding another stick of 256mb RAM to my 512mb RAM, so if they dont mix properly or whatever, what are the possible negative consequences from that if it happens to not mix well together, and could it screw up my computer?

And for the second question(s):
How hard is it to put in a harddrive? I really would like to keep my old harddrive, because it contains all of my games, etc, so isnt it possible to put in a "second" harddrive ? If so, how hard would it be to install one, and where in the hell could I put it in at? It looks like there is no place to put an extra one in, but maybe there is and I dont know about it? :p

Anyways, thanks in advance for any answers to these questions!

Chubz,

Installing memory in a PC is usually a breeze. All you have to do is plug it in. All the work is done by the motherboard so you just have to power on your PC. (If you go a store like Best Buy they charge something like 30$ just to do this.)

If you have two types of RAM, lets say one runs at a faster frequency then the other, the motherboard automatically lowers the faster one to match the speed of both sticks of ram. Your system will still work fine but you won't have the benefit of the faster RAM. To solve this, just use two identical sticks of RAM.

As far as the hard drive is concerned, that is fairly simple as well. The motherboard usually does the work for you. It will automatically detect the IDE drive. If you have multiple drives on the same IDE channel, you will have to set one up as a master and the other as a slave. You can do this by changing the jumpers on the drive, there is usually a diagram on the drive that tells you how the jumpers should be for either step

HoLoCroN said:
Chubz,

Installing memory in a PC is usually a breeze. All you have to do is plug it in. All the work is done by the motherboard so you just have to power on your PC. (If you go a store like Best Buy they charge something like 30$ just to do this.)

If you have two types of RAM, lets say one runs at a faster frequency then the other, the motherboard automatically lowers the faster one to match the speed of both sticks of ram. Your system will still work fine but you won't have the benefit of the faster RAM. To solve this, just use two identical sticks of RAM.

As far as the hard drive is concerned, that is fairly simple as well. The motherboard usually does the work for you. It will automatically detect the IDE drive. If you have multiple drives on the same IDE channel, you will have to set one up as a master and the other as a slave. You can do this by changing the jumpers on the drive, there is usually a diagram on the drive that tells you how the jumpers should be for either step

Ok, as far as I know my RAM should be the same....

One stick of it is 256mb in an Emachines comp, the other is 512mb of ram in an HP machine...so hopefully it will turn out to be the same so that I can get the full benefit!

But if it IS the same, how much of a difference will it make going to 768 RAM up from 512mb RAM or will it really be a noticable difference?

One of the main reasons I am doing this is so that games and stuff will load quicker, etc, so will this help any, or is that what the processor is for?

Thanks for the reply, btw

Bumping up the RAM will definitely get you better results when playing games. If you try searching the web or reading email you won't see much of a difference.

HoLoCroN said:
Bumping up the RAM will definitely get you better results when playing games. If you try searching the web or reading email you won't see much of a difference.

Oh, Ok.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom