Wide Screen or not to Wide Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheEnd187 said:
its also good for some widescreen enabled games. Oblivion for example im actually living widescreen in real life i dont remember if peoples heads are supposed to be round or oval

LOL
Widescreen FTW

Saint71 said:
I personally do not like widescreen. The only reason you should get a widscreen monitor is if watching movies on your computer is the main thing you do with it. Dont forget that all non widscreen format video will have bars on the sides.

I dont see anybars on any game or website? The only side bars I see is the WoW loading screen, but once you get in its at 16x10 format.

My brother just picked one up and call of duty felt like a movie, all letterbox style. I will be going wide screen should I upgrade anytime in the future.

New games are starting to support ws straight from the box, while older games might need to edit a file or something of that nature, but nothing to complicated.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
This is a pretty good site to read about ws itself and what/how games are played in WS. Any game using the source engine (Half-Life 2, Counter-strike source, etc.) plays in WS very well. The extra peripheral vision works great in fps games. They also play WS movies very well.

WS!!! i play alot of cs etc and it moves all the radar/chat/etc out of the main viewing area so i can see whats going on! its awsome, no looking back!

i prefer normal ratio myself, it is just what you like.

do you have any friends or anything with one, that you could use for a while, to see if you like it or not?

i'm currently on my 2nd ws monitor and i didn't even consider going 4:3 for the 2nd one. it's really nice for gaming and video (i use my computer about 75% of the time for these two).

i'd recommend going ws because as you probably know WS is becoming kinda the "new technology" in a sense. WS movies are more popular now than FS ones...etc. basicly what i'm saying is that a lot more things are going to be WS ready in the future than are now too.

And the people who said that you get black bars on the side of the monitor for fullscreen movies on widescreen monitors didn't even consider the idea that the bars also show up on fullscreen monitors playing widescreen movies (except fullscreen on a widescreen monitor has smaller bars). sorry if that's hard to follow i know i only used about 10 different words there.

anyways it looks like most people are suggesting widescreen here, and i think that's your best bet. good luck either way.

Go Dell E207WFP 20'' Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor. Excellant monitor for $289.00 with HDCP support. I plan on getting one in the near future to replace my dying 19" monitor.

Thanks for all the gr8 advice provided. Gave me a lot of food for thought. The spreadsheet issue is one I did not consider but as I will be going straight from 17 inch lcd to 20 inch lcd it might not be so bad. Having a play with one before I buy in the next couple of weeks as well as that makes a lot of sense. I am very likely to go wide screen.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom