dell help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
Yes I know it's a dell, but at least it's not mine. My uncle has been having problems with it. Whenever he turns it on it says Primary and secondary hard drisk not found. I even reinstalled windows xp, and after the part where it says waiting to initialize the windows xp setup, it went to a black screen showing the bios version and what not, along with that hark disk not being found. What happened here?

Really? I hope not. I was able to access the hard drive on another computer as slave. But all wanted to do is reinstall windows on it, so it can be back to normal. I got into the desktop once before I tried the windows xp reinstallation, but it was super slow.

Are they SATA or IDE? If they're SATA, you probably need to turn on that format in the BIOS in order for it to see them.

Also, don't forget to doublecheck all the cables.

They're IDE. Oh and could it possibly be the jumpers too? I just saw the jumpers, and they're right in the middle. Now I don't know if this is master or slave, because on the hard drive theres no diagram telling the jumper settings. Yea I will double check cables.

OK what I did was check the cables and removed the jumper off the hard drive. Next when I turn it on it still says primary and secondary hard disk not found. But in the BIOs it detects the hard drive. I did the windows reinstallation again, and it got farther then before but, that screen where it gives a countdown to restart.....it restarted but went back to the black screen that told BIOS info, primary and secondary hard disk not found, and ask for password. And when I type the password, the windows reinstallation starts again. Can anyone help me here?

Nevermind I got it to reinstallation to work but it's very very slow at installing. Any ideas why? The specs are P4 1.8GHz, 128mb RDRAM, 20GB hard drive, and a geforce 2.

umm why its slow? the proc is alright but the 128RD ram is slowin it down. and nowadays rd ram is expensive. the videocard should be fine for his setup.

So the 128RDRAM is slowing all this down? The windows xp installation is taking like 1-2hrs, and still not done. Is there something wrong there?

XP installation still not done. Can anyone help me? Is there something wrong with the hard drive? It's been going on for hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom