Compaq Recovery Partition Full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluetuft

Beta member
I purchased the following computer about 2 and a half years ago and have had barely any major problems with it.
Compaq Presario S6389UK

I have two hard drives on my computer. An external 250GB HD which I brought in September, and an Internal 75GB HD which came with the PC when I brought it. The Internal HD is partitioned, into a C and a D drive. The D drive is 4.30GB and is the recovery partition. I have had no problem with this, but when I started my computer up yesterday it told me that the D drive was almost full (54MB's left). Ive been trying to find a way to empty some space, but cant find any way. Now what I am thinking of doing is somehow adding space to the partition from the C drive, which still has 25GB space. The onely problem is that Im not sure there is a way to expand a partition.

Could anybody please give me advice on how to either make space on the D drive, or expand the partition. If not, would it be harmful to combine the two partitions again?

Thanks for any advice given.
Bluetuft.

EDIT: I took some screenies.

Inside the D drive

My computer and D drive properties

get rid of your system restore and it will delete all your info. (you can turn it back on and create a new restore point if you wish afterwards) That should open up some space on the D drive.

start/settings/control panal/system/system restore tab/check the "turn off system restore"

wait for it to finish (it can take some time) and reboot... after that you can turn it back on if you wish and it should create a new restore point for you.

the D drive is for a system restore and unless you totally wipe out the D drive with a fresh install you cannot add/remove without windows involvment. (hence above)

Thanks for the help, but it didnt do anything. I did all you said, but it just came up with a message saying something like are you sure you want to turn off system restore, and thats it. I restarted my computer, but it still said I was low on disk space, and there has been no space freed up. Here's a screenie of what the system restore thing looks like now. Is there anything wrong with it?
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/8816/systemrestorero5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom