Stuck at 2.37GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanp0286

Baseband Member
So this is my first time messing around with overclocking... I saw a review where my processor got up to around 2.7GHz while still keeping the voltages at stock settings. Every time I up my FSB to equal 2.42GHz, the computer reboots itself after loading Windows. After the reboots it says the system has recovered from a serious error, so I send the report to Microsoft and it comes back saying it is a driver issue that caused Windows to crash. I have my voltage set to Auto, should I change it to 0.0 (no change in voltage)? I read something about changing the HTT to 4 instead of 5, but can't seem to find that in my BIOS??

Specs:
EPoX EP-9GF6100-M Socket 939 Motherboard
pqi POWER Series 512MB (2 x 256MB) PC3200 Dual Channel
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego, stock heatsink and fan with AS5
120mm intake fan, 80mm side fan w/ duct, 120mm exhaust fan
Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Lower the HTT multiplier, also lower the ram/cpu ratio if your ram's frequency is above it's rated amount. After finding the absolute max of your CPU, then slowly bring the ram back up.

Can't find anything that says HTT multiplyer, would it be any of these?

K8<->HT Speed 5x
NB-->SB HT Speed 4x
NB<--SB HT Speed 4x

And this is what my Advance BIOS screen looks like:

CPU Frequency 215
PCIE Clock 100mhz
AMD Cool n Quiet Disabled
CPU Ratio Control Disabled
CPU Voltage Auto
Chipset 1.2v
DIMM Auto
Memory Frequency Auto

bryanp0286 said:
Can't find anything that says HTT multiplyer, would it be any of these?

K8<->HT Speed 5x
NB-->SB HT Speed 4x
NB<--SB HT Speed 4x
Yes, it would. I don't know why it says NB, since the NB is built into the athlon 64s if I'm not mistaken. HTT on 939 cpus is default at 2000mhz. This figure is obtained by your FSB x LDT Multiplier x 2. So you have 200mhz(Stock FSB) x 5 (Stock multiplier) x 2 = 2000mhz

This value should always be as close to 2000mhz as you can get it, but going lower won't hurt performance much. At the 215 FSB you have right now it's at 215 x 5 x 2 = 2150mhz. Sometimes this is the wall you're hitting with the FSB. Try dropping the first setting K8<->HT Speed from 5x to 4x. Take a screenshot of CPU-Z running with that setting at 5x and 4x so I can make sure it's the right one. 2150 is a bit too high, always try to stay under 2100. Running it at 4x would give 215 x 4 x 2 = 1720mhz.

And this is what my Advance BIOS screen looks like:

CPU Frequency 215
PCIE Clock 100mhz
AMD Cool n Quiet Disabled
CPU Ratio Control Disabled
CPU Voltage Auto
Chipset 1.2v
DIMM Auto
Memory Frequency Auto

Every BIOS is different.

What options are under "CPU Ratio Control"?

I'd say your Advanced BIOS screen should look something like:

CPU Frequency 215 -- Good, higher is better obviously
PCIE Clock 100mhz -- Good
AMD Cool n Quiet Disabled -- Good
CPU Ratio Control Disabled --Don't know what this is
CPU Voltage Auto -- Leave it at stock untill you max the CPU Freq.
Chipset 1.2v -- Good
DIMM Auto -- Not quite sure what this is
Memory Frequency Auto -- Should have options like 1:1 2:1, 5:3, 4:3

If you're ram is at default speed of 1:1 (400mhz) and you change the FSB to 215, you now have the same ratio of 1:1 but the ram and cpu are both running faster, the ram is at 430mhz now. Some ram can do this, some can't. I suggest lower the divider to 2:1 (REALLY slow) just for overclocking testing so that any failures are CPU related and not ram related.

Basically when you want a CPU overclock, lower your ram and anything else that could be stopping you from clocking higher (HTT Speed, AGP lock). Once you can't get any higher on the CPU, then try upping it by very very small voltage differences,(Check temperatures OFTEN when playing with the voltage) sometimes more voltage doesn't mean more overclock, in fact sometimes less voltage works better. It's just a very long test process.

Once you've found the absolute CPU max, try to work the ram in to it's best divider to get as high to it's max as possible (which from what you say seems to be 430mhz). The HTT multiplier really doesn't provide any speed increase/loss even on 1x or 2x settings since it gives an incredible amount of bandwidth even at those speeds.

Step 1: Change the CPU:RAM to 2:1 or 215mhz:112mhz(<--slow)
Step 2: Change the HTT from 5x to 4x untill you hit 255 or more FSB, if that's possible, then you want to step it down again to 3x.
Step 3: Screenshot a CPU-Z of your setup and post it here.
Step 4: Increase the FSB by 2-3mhz per restart.
Step 5: When you can't increase it anymore, up the voltage by the smallest increment you can(Optional, this is what fries systems)
Step 6: Do a little math with the CPU:RAM divider to get the ram as high as possible. Say you get the FSB to 243 stable. That means you want a ratio of 243:200. 1:1 is far too high as it would put your ram at 243x2(DDR) 486mhz. Messing with a few numbers, 243FSB at a 5:3 ratio gives you an almost perfect ram speed of 201.5x2(DDR)=403mhz.

keep in mind that your overclocking results will vary from chip to chip, from motherboard to motherboard, power supply, etc.

i have a 3700+ sandy and it'll hit 2.65ghz stock voltage, but won't do 2.7ghz at ANY voltage. overclocking is weird like that :Shrug:

i run the fsb at 10 x 264mhz with the RAM at a 5:6 ratio (220mhz)

best of luck to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom