Sharing my XP modem with 98 via DCC. Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

Beta member
Hi, I'm new here and I came to ask something... I have a computer, (OS: Windows 98) and its modem got fried in a bad storm. (Bet you'd never think THAT would happen, huh?) I have another computer, (OS: Windows XP Pro ) that has a working modem. :laughing: I have the two computers networked with my home-made null-modem cable, (Serial) and I have a Direct Cable Connection that is fully functional setup on both computers. Now, my question is... Without buying any extra hardware, is there a program or ANYthing that I can download/do to share my modem on my XP computer with my Windows 98 computer so I can get online with it? I really need this to work, so I would really appreciate it if someone would help me please... thanks a lot.

Electric Rain

run a network cable between each machine through the network card. what you want is called ICS internet connection sharing. open winXP help and support and type in the search key: ICS

:( :confused: But I don't have a network card. I network my computers using the serial ports and DCC. There are many sites having to do with internet sharing, but most of them are all for LAN and the expensive, high-speed, much more popular types of networking. However, I have found a few sites for DCC ICS. But the problem is there ALL for every OS BUT XP. They have programs and sites and guides and EVERYthing, for windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, NT, and all of their variations. BUT NOT XP!!! :angry: :mad: And CERTAINLY not 98 AND XP. Noooo... no one would EVER want to do thAt. :angry: :sigh:

Anyway, I've looked for countless hours trying to find info on this, but I just can't find what I'm looking for. :( Does anyone know of a freeware DCC ICS program that supports both windows 98 AND windows XP pro? Thanks.

Rain

Hi everyone, been a while huh? :eek:

Guilhermino, here's the funny thing... I downloaded NF2 a loooong time ago and couldn't get it to work... so, after much searching, as you know, I posted here. About a month later or so, I got it again and tried to get it to work. Success!!! :D And I've been using it for several months now. Before you even posted! That's funny isn't it?

Anyway, so that's working now, but just recently, (past month- two months) I realized that... it's really slow. :laughing: Plus, I can't share files, printers, nothing. Just my internet connection. It's been messing up lately too. So within the last few weeks, I got an Ethernet card for DIRT-cheap off eBay. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=51195&sspagename=STRK:MEBWN:IT&rd=1) (Though, it didn't come with drivers a manual, or even a box!)

I came here again to post about a problem I'm having with it. And it's funny, because the original point of this thread, has so much to do with the problem I'm having now, that I figured I could just post here again. :laughing:

I already have an Ethernet card in the internet having computer, but not in the other one. (Really old, 1997 I think.)

Now, about the problem. I downloaded the drivers, installed the card, installed the drivers, and even though I don't have the network cable I need for it yet, everything seems to be perfect as far as that card goes. Lights come on, shows up in the device manager just fine, everything's fine. But, my sound didn't work then. I messed around with it for a few days, and even did a non-destructive hard drive rebuild. (Huge hassle, long time, gave me less space on my computer, uninstalled many many programs, made me have to customize all of my settings again... What it did was basically wiped out my HD, except for all of my personal files, and put it back to the way it was when I first got it.) I did it thinking that maybe my sound drivers were overwritten by the drivers for the card. That was the case I do believe.

This is how it all works. When the sound works fine, I can install the card and it works fine. But then, the sound messes up. It plays the first tiny tiny bit of the latest sound that was played over and over and over again. The only thing that lets the sound work okay, is if I take out the card. Nothing else seems to work. My sound card hates my Ethernet card. :angry: Though, it's not actually a sound CARD, my sound is integrated to my motherboard. My old, four ISA slot, three PCI slot, no AGP having, motherboard that is equipped with a nice AMD-K6 3d processor, 64MB of RAM, and 2MB of integrated video. So yeah, it's old. :laughing: But at least I have windows 98. :laughing:

So what I have now, is a knocked out expansion slot in the back of my PC right above, the burnt modem that looks just fine, a computer that I still have to restore many settings and programs on, but has sound, and an Ethernet card safely pack in the package it came in.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I kind of went on and on there... I commend you if you made it to this point... please help me figure out why my sound won't work with this card... Thank you so much,

Rain

P.S. A couple extra details, the card is PCI, not ISA, and when it's in, neither the card nor my sound have any hardware conflicts in the device manager.

Can't help there

I'm affraid I can't be much help there. But I did have an Ethernet card giving me a hard time on an old system as well ( nothing to do with sound though, just hang-ups and system errors ). I got it working by changing it's memory space to be contiguous to my other cards ( curiously enough I think it was my sound card ) and changing it's IRQ line, so maybe you can try that, though I'm not sure what happened actually except that it seemed to work. I must add that I first had a cheap linksys card that seemed to be somewhat more demanding of system resources and then traded with a 3COM, but I still had those problems only to a lesser extent.
About sharing your modem with dcc, I must add that I've since changed from DCshare to Winroute Pro, wich works much better, since DCshare won't let you use ftp unless you state the address and ports of each connection wich goes for the rest of the protocols too ( that's terrible ), whereas Winroute Pro will let you route just about every protocol without any special configuration.
I must also say that I'm able to share files and maybe even Printers ( never tried ) and though it is rather slow ( especially for file and print job transfer ) I find it perfectly enough for general internet browsing ( I get 10KB download speeds on my laptop, though it's a Pentium III at 750MHz ). Anyway you must have the connection set up to use 115200bps ( did you check that ? ) because Windows XP ( for some reason I don't know ) defaults to 19200bps, which is incredibly slow. Also, you can use your parallel port for the connection instead, that should give you about a 4x speed boost, all you need is a cheap Parallel "Laplink" cable.
Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom