possible virus, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marsh714

Solid State Member
Hi all, I woke up this morning to find that my taskbars (both top and bottom) and all my files, favorite websites and anything else with the exception of the webpages are now displaying in some sort of sign language, something like a heirglyphics font. Even my time in the bottom right corner of my screen, and my start button is the same way. I ran a scan on my computer and discovered that my son downloaded something from the net yesterday that had a virus. I ran a virus scan, cleaned the virus and rebooted. It still looks like heirglyphics. I am unable to run a system restore because I cannot read anything, therefore I dont know where it is. As you can see, my words are bold. Not by choice, this is the only thing that I have. Can someone please tell me how I can restore my computer to its former self?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure how to do that, remember also that everything is in hierglyphics, including my taskbars, so normally where I would see file, edit, so forth and so on I just see a bunch of squares, triangles, right angles, question marks, and so on. If you could walk me through it maybe I could provide you with it.

If I try to go to Microsoft Word and change my font style the only thing I have is this heiroglyphics font, nothing else. The rest have been erased. Even if I was able to do that. It still will not change the fonts on my taskbars, right? I also tried going on some fonts sites. But that will not cure my ills. So, at this point is my only option to reformat? Luckily I was able to save my pictures of my family to CD. But everything else, and I mean everything is in this strange font. Even if I right click on my start button and go to explore and left click on explore. Everthing in that explore window is in hieroglyphics. Drive names, folder names, documents, everything!

I do have my restore disks sitting here ready to go. Just wanted to see if I had some other options that I might be able to follow before I lose the rest of my info by formatting.

What 'bout right-clicking the desktop , and going to the last item. go to the fourth tab over, the button near the bottom-three, and then click on the wingdings. You then should have a choice to set it back to something normal.

Here we go.. here's a graphic.

Another idea.. press f8, go into safe mode, and see what she does. It may load the default font set there. Not sure, as I've never had this particular problem, but dr. spock says it's logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom