How long did it take...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalliArt882

Daemon Poster
I'm not going to lie. I was probaby too young/too uninterested to remember when DX9 came out, and how long it took it to become mainstream.

So judging by how long it took DX9 to actually be the mainstream for pc games, does anyone have any idea on how long it will take DX10 to become mainstream for gaming?

Here's my situation. I to be building my rig by christmas. Because as far as gaming goes, I have nothing to do here at my mom's house due to my current rig. I already have an e6600, and I can order a x1950XTX and NZXT Apollo case now if I want.

I'm kind of scared to order a Nvidia 8800GTS when it comes out because who knows. ATI's product might blow it out of the water.

So what should i do? Get dx9 now, wait a year, then upgrade to Vista and a DX10 card that I know will be worthwhile, or take a huge risk now in getting a 8800, not knowing how much better the ATI r600 will be?

AND, if i bought a x1950XTX, would it last at least a year? Because the only DX10 game I hear about is Crysis, that's it. Thanks.

Unreal Tournament 2007 will also use DX10.

ATI's product will smoke the 8800...they haven't failed for every other generation, why start now. :p

Ok I think I want to get a mid-end card because:

1. A Sapphire x1950 PRO 256mb is only $199.99
2. My current monitor's highest resolution is only 1024x768, and I would hope a x1950 PRO could do that easily. I won't be able to get a new monitor until next summer anyway.
3. I won't have to worry about re-selling such an expensive card when i do get a DX10 card.

Do you guys agree?

Too late ;) I read a review about the Sapphire x1950 PRO and it said it was a good bang for the buck, out-performing it's nvidia equivalent 7900GS by quite a bit on most games. It will hold me over, especially considering that I couldn't get a sharper res. monitor until next summer anyway.

So, with the $350 I saved by stepping down on the vid card, I have on the way also:

OCZ 700 watt power supply
NZXT Apollo case blue
Soundblaster X-fi Extrememusic card

all i have to say is that DX overall is just overrated. sure it brings some visual improvements but all it ultimately means is that your graphics card is about to become obsolete because of slack programmers who can't be bothered making efficient games. some personal knowledge:
i know that NFSMW can be run in i think DX7 mode on my MX440 in my secondary pc. it doesn't look bad at all. so i guess considering NFSMW was released on DX9.0C you could use that as an indicator.

DX10 is part of Vista, so it will dominate only as Vista becomes mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom