uh-oh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
So my dad orders a 7900gs without looking at the minimul power supply requirements. The psu his pc came with is a 450w psu and he thought that was great. I have yet to check the voltages in bios to see if this generic psu is stable with his stuff now, let alone the 7900gs. Here are the specs using a picture from the website of the power supply inside the case:

+5V = 30A
+3.3V = 25A
+12V = 25A

All under 450W according to the picture.

When I look on sites for power supply's, I can bearley find one with those kind of ratings (are they lying?) and newegg says the 7900gs needs atleast a 400W psu with 20A on the 12V rail. If what the psu says is legit, will this video card work fine?

I would try to find out more if the video card was in my dad's possession, let alone I was there. Lol

whats all in your dads computer??

those always assume full loads, as long as he doesnt have too much hardware he shouldnt have to worry about it... i shoved a 6800gs in a compaq without changing the psu.. so it should be all good

as for the rails, everything seems fine to me

ya, that should be fine... my compaq was a 6800gs, 3500+, 250 gb hdd, 2 dvd drives, 1 gb ram and 1 case fan... and that was all on 350 watts!! 19 amps!! hahaha

I would play it on the safe side like i have said before i had a generic 550W PSU It bured out and fried my mobo yes smoke was coming out of the side case fan very scary

TheEnd187 said:
I would play it on the safe side like i have said before i had a generic 550W PSU It bured out and fried my mobo yes smoke was coming out of the side case fan very scary

Even my dog would know that a generic psu could not run something like that, duh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom