blank screen on boot and no bios beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

4DConsumer

Baseband Member
A friend of mine gave me a computer to try and fix and this one has me stumped. At first we were thinking his monitor was bad. Once I got the computer to my house and plugged my monitor into it, I realized its much more complicated. The computer turns on, green lights, fans running...but there is no picture on the monitor and the bios never beeps. I also figured this may have been a video card error but I put my card in and still, nothing. Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated. Oh, I dont know if this matters but this is a DFI Lanparty motherboard...not sure about the rest of the specs.

Yeah I would definitley suspect either the RAM or the CPU. The fact that everything seems to power up when you turn your computer on seems to be a good indication that your PSU is up to par, so I wouldn't focus too much on that just yet.

psu is probably fine. I doubt it's the ram as you'd notice a bios beep and possibly a post error on the screen. I suspect either the cpu or the mobo. There is generally a beep code for a bad cpu as well so it seems to me that the motherboard being dead is the most likely.
For what it's worth, when I come across this type of thing it's typically the motherboard.

Thanks alot for the advice guys, I appreciate it.
Can anyone give me some advice as to check the motherboard to see if indeed it is bad? I've heard of bench testing but I myself have never done it.

besides benchmarking all i can think of is throwing it into another machine but that can take awhile, if it uses IDE make sure all the cables are connected and in the correct way and not backwards or one pin off, try one piece of ram in different slots and also try the video card in different slots if PCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom