divisor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
reference clock x multiplier = processor/memory controller speed / divisor = memory DIMM speed

hi all. can someone explain this a little better for me?

i am pretty sure i know what the reference clock is on my cpu (64 x2 4200), 200 mhz. and i believe the multiplier can be 9, 10, or 11. processor speed is 2200mhz (?). questions: is processor/memory controller the same thing? and what is the divisor (ie the number and literally, what is it)?
anyone? basically i am trying to get the dimm speed on 800mhz ddr2 ram running with this cpu. i don't know if i will get the whole benefit of 800 mhz...because the divisor (what is this?) is odd????
can someone educate me please?
pardon my ignorance...

ok

heres what ya do

take your stock clock, that should be 2200

you take your multiplier, multiply that by the front side bus

the front side bus at stock, is always 200

so 200x11 is 2200

thus how you get your mhz

now, to overclock you normally push up and overclock your FSB, in this case would be the 200

now, for memory, depending on the devidor, you want to turn it down for your memory

now, if if you want to overclock the memory, im not going to touch DDR2 and i am clueless about it to be honost

so in my case, using amd, i would raise the reference clock in bios?
this isn't the one that overclocks the entire board thus voiding my warranty from amd, is it?
it says "Ref Clock (HTT), Mhz (200)", right?
where can i find the divisor?
and what exactly is it?

you cant raise your multipler higher than stock

any overclocking officially voilds your warranty

now, what they cant see and tell, they dont know,

but you can lower the multiuplier, right?
i think i read the 4200 is stock 11, but can be 9 or 10.
i just want to make sure i am going to have benefit of using ddr2 800, and not wasting money. although booya that corsair xms is supposed to be some good stuff.
i have read that my cpu has an "odd divisor", and i don't know what that is/means.
except that it is hard (impossible) for me to run "true 800mhz".
of course, 747mhz or whatever versus 800mhz is probably like, umm not noticable to humans. especially w/ good cpu and ram.

yeah

not consumer level processors in my opinion

edit:
most of those guys that buy them wouldn t be asking this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom