Using 2 PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mRk

In Runtime
How would I go about using 2 PSUs in my computer? Do I need to modify it somehow? I got a spare 250W PSU from my old computer. I don't need the extra power, but I was just curious.

you can get a splitter. There called a Y cable but its just like that but just for like hooking up the plug to the motherboard.. why would u want 2 PSU's? telling by ut specs all u need is a 250 watt. My friend has a 280 watt on his HP and he has a 3.2 intel with HT..

you can buy a dual power supply at newegg. if one power supply fails the other kicks in immediately. they are expensive and the redundancy acts as a failsafe.

Right, I've only seen one modded computer that needed more than 500W. Typically, you will never need more than one. Now, when you get to start using dual, quad and higher CPUs with 4 or more drives in a varied RAID configuration, then sure......but, to add a 250W?!?.....Don't see the need.

-Mike

yea i mean i have a 550 watt psu and im using watercooling where at times can use up to 200 watts of power... im fine and i have 6 fans hooked up and lights.. 2 HD's 1 dvd drive 1 cdrw drive. u know and im fine.

As the guy said originally he doesnt need the power he was just curious... I think the bottom line is you cant connect the power supplies together but you can use them to power different things in your case. for example 1 power supply specifically for your watercooling.

Hey, i've done that, u just neeed to cross a couple wires, works great, if u want me to tell u what wires u need to cross to keep it on, just ask ^_^ otherwise im too lazy to figure it out right now :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom