wait for DX10 or go for 7900gto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

small256

In Runtime
Hey all, quick question, I'm going for the setup below, but I was wondering if i should stick with my old 6800Gs and wait for the G80 to come out or go for the 7900GTO now?

And also, really stupid question, will the G80 be backwards compatible? ie, still be able to play dx9 games (and further back)?

Oh and finally, is there an estimated price for the G80 yet? and when are they supposed to be coming out, some people have said november, others have said june 2007... i dont want to wait til june 2007 thats for sure.

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz £206.80
nVidia 7900GTO £180.7
ASUS P5B-E Socket T (LGA 775) £96.62
530W Hiper HPU-4M530 £46.87
Corsair PC5300 RAM £74.65
160 Gb Western Digital SATA HD £40.49
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro £12.63

Ok, so maybe not such a quick question as i'd originally thought...

DX10 cards will play DX9 games...

estimated price for the 8800GTX/GTS is 450 or better (USD)

I have seen the Nvidia site saying something about Nov. 8th.

I personally would wait until either:

A. prices drop (which they will)

B. someone here upgrades and sell the 7900GT/GS

I have 2 6800GS's in SLI that are working quite well for me in any game I play... So I'm waiting myself personally for one of the above... even Crysis (DX10) will dx9 compatable... So we'll see...

actually, couple more things, do physics cards need to be in an sli mobo? if so i'll probably need an sli mobo instead of the ASUS P5B-E, i might save up and get both a g80 and a physics card then

no need for a physx card yet... those are iffy at best... and you can't use them in SLI (as a second card) you would need 2 cards, THEN the physx card... and with the 8800's you won't need one of those anyway.... I wouldn't waste the money....

i'm glad i asked, i could have made a big mistake. thanks again, you've saved me even more money!

chea...

yeah I would not get a physx card yet? why? because if you wanna play video games only Ghost recon and Crysis will play with this card.... not that many games out there support physx card... thats why I think you should wait untill later when real games for physx card... for me.. am gonna wait untill next year for Crysis.... I think thats how you spell that name not sure... ;-) good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom