Can I build a Web Server From a Old Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidwestComputer

In Runtime
Hi Guys
I got a question to ask. Can I build a web server from a old laptop? if I can what specs of laptop would I need to use and what else do I need to make my own web server off a old laptop?

Before you even bother, make sure your ISP will allow it.

Most ISP's block the required ports needed to run a webserver, as they don't want you making money off of them.

the reason why im asking this im trying to get my business up and running and Im not going to host anybody else exp my own and also im on dsl with a router.

You're better off with shared web hosting. They usually cost around $7 a month which is cheaper than running it yourself.

After you spend the money on the software and connection each month, you'll end up spending much more. If something happens to your laptop, your site could go down and you could loose potential clients.

how can you say its cheaper to pay by month when I got dsl connection for free? if you calculate it up for a whole year is about 84 dollars a year and if you dont pay it for within a month they will shut it down where as you have your own you dont have worry about paying for it a month and worry about getting it shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom