LONG boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysalis

Systems Engineer
Hey guys... I've got a computer (my mom's business workstation) that when restarted, will not get past the processor ID for about 5 minutes. After, it will see hard drives and then all will be fine. The computer posts fine and once it sits for about 5 minutes, it will boot fine too. I checked BIOS and its running pretty hot - 50c at boot up. Also, I cannot get into BIOS until after the 5 minutes have passed.

I set the system temp warning to go off at 60c and it goes off on boot up.

Over heating?
MOBO/Processor?
HD/HD cable?

The system is an AMD athlon 64 3400+, gigabyte mobo, 1gig ddr400. Video card tested fine in another system.

Crysalis said:
Hey guys... I've got a computer (my mom's business workstation) that when restarted, will not get past the processor ID for about 5 minutes. After, it will see hard drives and then all will be fine. The computer posts fine and once it sits for about 5 minutes, it will boot fine too. I checked BIOS and its running pretty hot - 50c at boot up. Also, I cannot get into BIOS until after the 5 minutes have passed.

I set the system temp warning to go off at 60c and it goes off on boot up.

Over heating?
MOBO/Processor?
HD/HD cable?

The system is an AMD athlon 64 3400+, gigabyte mobo, 1gig ddr400. Video card tested fine in another system.

Maybe try running a reg cleaner aswell.

Once booted do you have any problems with it over heating or is it fine once it's booted? Download motherboard monitor and set it up (just follow on screen instructions and find your mobo from the list). Atleast then you can see what the temps are once booted. Also have you tried booting into safe mode? how long does this take?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311

Doesn't sound software related if it takes 5 minutes to POST.

You might try clearing CMOS.

A BIOS update may be in-order aswell.

Yea... hard drives don't start reading until the 5 minutes have passed so its not registry. This is what happens:

Power Button Pushed
Video card screen
Processor check/ID
***5 minute delay***
Hard drive check
Floppy check
Windows starts to boot

I'll try clearing the CMOS and I think i'm also going to try changing the HD cables.

I agree with clearing the CMOS. Perhaps a BIOS flash would be a good idea as well. Seeing as it is completely ruled out that it is a software/driver issue (since the lag is in the beginnings of boot), this is likely what is causing the issue.

While you are there, you might as well address the heat issue. Probably just needs dust blown out of the CPU fan/heatsink.

I think 50c is normal.... correct me if I'm wrong.

My hunch is to check your startup sequence, your computer might be checking for DHCP before going to your HDD.

So I would suggest to go into BIOS, startup sequence and see if it is true. If it is and you know you're not running a server to get the DHCP on startup, than I would either remove the whole thing or lower the priority on it to the last and have your HDD boot up first.

notartard said:
I think 50c is normal.... correct me if I'm wrong.

My hunch is to check your startup sequence, your computer might be checking for DHCP before going to your HDD.

So I would suggest to go into BIOS, startup sequence and see if it is true. If it is and you know you're not running a server to get the DHCP on startup, than I would either remove the whole thing or lower the priority on it to the last and have your HDD boot up first.

for an amd.. 50 degrees is not normal, 60 is caution point.. 50 should be something around full load, not bios

yea... definitely not normal. I'm gonna probably take a closer look at it sunday. I'll dust it with some compressed air and hopefully that will take care of the heat issue. I really don't like seeing that its running 50 degrees at boot up.

I'm not sure which pins are to clear CMOS. I'm gonna have to find the manual for it because the pins aren't labeled. I think I know which ones, but I wanna make sure of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom