which processor is better

Status
Not open for further replies.

m6qrp

In Runtime
which of these processors are better for low end gaming, web surfing and word processing? a Pentium D 820 Smithfield 2.8GHz or an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0 GHz ?

The AMD will beat the Pentium D in gaming and other single core apps while the Pentium D will beat it in Multithreaded apps.

I would go with the AMD based off the heat factor alone.

You picked one of the two games that the Pentium D can beat the 3200+.

Quake 4 (w/ patch) and Call of Duty 2 support Dual core.

For every other game that is single threaded, the 3200+ will win.

If it was me I'd go with the PD, just for the simple fact that it is dual core. Even though the Athlon can beat it in gaming, you can always o/c the PD and it has more cache. Plus dual core is helpfull in a lot of the stuff you said that you will be doing. If you are playing low end games then you won't be pplaying games like Cod2 or Quake 4 anyways. I say Pentium D. I'd take a Dual core > Single core, anyday.

which of the two has a better value for money and will last me longer?

and thanks for your replies

Is that your rig in your sig? Why do you want this if you alreayd have a PD lol? Maybe its a second one. Anyways I think the PD has more value since it is dual core and most of the future stuf will use dual core. so it will be better for future too.

I think dual core was in no good....Because dual core is just a new technology and also i always said tat dual core onli 30% faster than a normal P4 processor..but not double the speed of it.... But in my opinion, AMD 64bit processor are much more better than Intel 64 bit processor and also it is much more cheaper than Intel processor and the function are the same...So i would perfer AMD processor if i was to use for gaming and Intel for working..Even AMd is hotter than Intel processor but we can use more powerful cooling fan to cool it or use watercooling method to cool it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom