RAM compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Therock

In Runtime
Hi. I recently ordered 2 sticks of ram (2 x 512MB) PC3200 from Patriot. Its timings are 2-3-2-5. I currently have 2 x 512MB OCZ ram (timing 2-2-2-5) PC3200 as well. OCZ runs dual channel. Here is where my problem starts. I put the additional two sticks of Patriot RAM in 2 and 4 (OCZ is in 1 and 3). I get a long beep at start up, so I decided to reset CMOS and try switching them (Patriot from 2 and 4 to 1 and 3, and OCZ from 1 and 3 to 2 and 4). My system boots up but then before the windows screen shows up it tells me that there is some file missing in Windows/System32/xxx folder. So i decide to reboot and try again and the computer restarts after the Windows screen. After I decided to remove OCZ ram it boots up perfectly, same thing happens when i put in OCZ and take patriot out. Can any tell me what could this mean? Thanks a lot in advance.

To be exact this is the message that I get. And I made a mistake, it doesn't go to the Windows screen.

"Windows could not start because teh following file is missing
\Windows\System32\Config\System"

"You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair"

yeah i think its the timings that are doing it ... if you mix meme brands you shoudl try to at least keep the same timings..

Is there a way to sort of "combine" them two? Or there is no way both will work together?

BTW: I can't find Command Rate in Bios :/

umm you could try a mem oc by bringing that 3 to a 2 ? i think .. not 100 percet nsomebody else wil lknow....

or bump the 2 upp? im not a crazy ocer barley oc'd ,my rig but yea somebody that ocs shoudl be able to help you sooooooonnn

i'm not sure if the appearance of your BIOS is different to mine but it should be similar. try Genie BIOS Settings>Memory (should be the top option)>Command Rate. if you want to combine the timings set them to the looser timings, i.e. 2-3-2-5. it sounds like you may have OCZ's EL series which would use either CH-5 or BH-5 chips on it, if that's the case the things love voltage. the Patriot memory probably defaults the memory voltage to 2.6v while the CH-5/BH-5 would probably be wanting 2.8v at stock speeds. it's risky but if that's what is happening overvolting to 2.8v vdimm may fix it. WARNING: i'm not held responsible for any damage that may occur. it should probably be ok but you must understand there is risk involved and the memory could be damaged. overvolting could end up being the only solution if that is an EL series set of OCZ because those chips basically don't like having their timings "loosened". i have actually witnessed looser timings making the memory unstable. 2-2-2-5 is what they run best but give 2-3-2-5 a try any way as it's the best option. just go into BIOS with only the OCZ in and find the memory latency/timings settings. change the TRCD value to 3. reboot, turn the pc off and install the Patriot memory, of course remembering to turn the mains power off to the pc because of the standby voltage to memory (can damage memory/motherboard installing or uninstalling memory while the standby voltage is there).

good luck

edit: lol seems like you guys continued talking behind my back while i was typing :p. i might not be able to respond any further for a while because i'm about to leave for school and they finally blocked TF in my last week of school....EVER :(

OK, ill try that. Personaly I hate playing with voltage, but if turns out to be the only option I'm not going to have a choice. Ill try puttin in OCZ and changing tRCD to 3 and turn off, put patriot in and try running it again. Will see if that helps, nontheless I really appreciate your help, both of you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom