BIOS/Multi Boot Issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Win2kpatcher

Fully Optimized
Hello! One of our techs had trouble with a new Dell when setting up a user so he resotred the system..I came to find out that he first tried installing Win2k pro, but I wanted XP back on it since thats what it came with it. Anywho... I reformatted the drive completley and re-installed XP.

Now when I boot there is THREE!! OS's showing up. The first WINXP install, then the WIN2K install, then my WINXP restore...none of the other OS's work when I try to boot from them because they no longer exist. There is only one OS and one Windows folder. How do I get the BIOS to get rid of all these extras! So it boots right away instead of waiting for user inervention. Thanks!!!

You can Down Load a utility from the HD manufacture then write zero`s to the drive.The Utility will also setup/format your hard drive . MaxBlast3 works good also .

For anybody who is curious I found a way to easily do this. In windows XP if you go into the MSCONFIG system utility and click on the BOOT.INI tab and click "check all boot paths" It will error out on the operating systems that are non existant and ask if you want to remove them. Once you remove them they are gone and it boots directly into the primary OS..yaayy!!

Thanks for posting your solution patcher. I'm a W2K user so i was not aware that was an option.

For future reference, it's not a BIOS issue you had. You could have simply edited the boot.ini file located in the root directory w/ a text editor like MS Notepad. By doing so, you could have edited/deleted the invalid paths to the previously installed OSes and set the default to whichever one you wanted.

Lone Wolf said:
Thanks for posting your solution patcher. I'm a W2K user so i was not aware that was an option.

For future reference, it's not a BIOS issue you had. You could have simply edited the boot.ini file located in the root directory w/ a text editor like MS Notepad. By doing so, you could have edited/deleted the invalid paths to the previously installed OSes and set the default to whichever one you wanted.

That is correct. I couldnt think of a better way to phrase it :( lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom