XP Home or Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
Is there a difference

a friend of mine insists that Home will not recognize more than 512 of ram:confused:

Your friend is incorrect. The software as far as I know follows the limit of the x86 processors and the board limits. In theory, this is between 2GB and 4GB. I believe the limit for XP is 4GB, but maybe someone else that has actually used more than 2GB can post here as well. I've never used more than 1.5GB. This goes for Home and Pro.

As for the other differences (Yes they are different) :Click here:

-Mike

4gb is the pysical limit for 32 bit processors. you can put in more but it will only have enough addresses for 4gb.

What about for a 64 bit processor

Which is what i am getting in my new setup

AMD 64 3400+

ASUS mobo

twin 512 corsair pc4000 DDR500

120GIG HD

ATI radeon 9800xt

cd writer

cheapo case

and audigy 2 sound card

what do you think of the setup

its 1800 shipped with home and 1880 shipped with pro

and i don't want to spend 80 bucks on something i don't need so thats why i ask

You want to mind 63 Bit Processors! Alot of your programs and other programs wont work with the 64 bit processor!

Oh and the biggest difference is that with XP home you can't format your disk with NTFS and with Pro you can! Can't really see many other differences between them both!

leoneire said:
You want to mind 63 Bit Processors! Alot of your programs and other programs wont work with the 64 bit processor!

:eek: I hope you are joking about that 63 bit processor cuz i almost believed you for a second

and do you think anything in my setup is overkill or needs to be upgraded or is nice and rounded? (my first computer build from scratch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom