Turn File to MSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbduballstrs

Baseband Member
Im trying to turn the internet explorer 7 .EXE to an MSI so I can deploy it through Group Policy. I've edit MSI file before but never converted anything to one. Is there any FREE software I could use to do that? We do have an MSDN subscription to Visual Studio but I've never used any tools other than ORCA.

Why not just use WSUS?
That is what MS is using to distrubute it anyway, and you should be up to that by now in any case.

That said, I think that trying to convert any windows update into an MSI is a mistake. You risk getting something wrong, and possible effects to the machine are everywhere. I would look for another solution to this.

One you might look at, if you can't distrubute any other way, is simply creating an MSI that runs this install. That way, you are not breaking anything that MS want's to install. As far as I know the only application that you can use for free is ORCA.

Good luck

I dont think IE7 is a windows update yet. But supposedly they are going to make it an update in November so Ill just use wsus. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom