Motherboard recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris516

Beta member
I am thinking of upgrading my motherboard as, I have had this one for several years.(yes years; 2002 I think)

It is a Soyo VBA133 which, has been discontinued, as 2004 or '05.

The specs on it are:

Case:Full-Tower
Form Factor: ATX
CPU: 933Mhz
RAM: 1.5Ghz(3 DIMM slots@PC-133 512MB)
FSB:133
ISA: 2
PCI: 5
AGP: 1
On-board sound, video

By upgrading the motherboard, isn't that going to entail, getting new RAM and, maybe a new CPU(if it is not included)

I already do not use on-board sound or video and, I would like to keep it that way.

My sound is a Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy accompanied by Logitech 140W speakers.

My video is a ATI Radeon 9600 SE with a Viewsonic 1280x1024 VGA CRT

Now, With all that said, can someone steer me in the right direction?

personally i don't see any point to upgrading your motherboard "just because you've had it a few years". if you need a new feature or wish to upgrade your whole pc go ahead :) but don't upgrade the motherboard just for the sake of it.

you could get a new motherboard and use your current hardware but it wouldn't give you any extra power and you'll have to get it second hand as all manufacturers have discontinued socket 370 motherboards (the kind which your motherboard is).

if you wish to get an entirely new pc then it will really help if you give us an indication of your budget. i think you should look into a Core 2 Duo e6600, a decent mid range LGA775 motherboard, 1-2GB of DDR2 memory (2GB if you game or do any intensive work like video encoding/editing) and a PCI-E video card of your choice (no lower than a 7600GT or X1800 if you game a lot)

socket 370 mobo

nitestick said:
personally i don't see any point to upgrading your motherboard "just because you've had it a few years". if you need a new feature or wish to upgrade your whole pc go ahead :) but don't upgrade the motherboard just for the sake of it.

you could get a new motherboard and use your current hardware but it wouldn't give you any extra power and you'll have to get it second hand as all manufacturers have discontinued socket 370 motherboards (the kind which your motherboard is).

if you wish to get an entirely new pc then it will really help if you give us an indication of your budget. i think you should look into a Core 2 Duo e6600, a decent mid range LGA775 motherboard, 1-2GB of DDR2 memory (2GB if you game or do any intensive work like video encoding/editing) and a PCI-E video card of your choice (no lower than a 7600GT or X1800 if you game a lot)

your post makes sense. I was going to leave a post, or a new thread asking where to find a good quality socket 370 mobo, used or otherwise. I'm thinking that may be a waste of time and money now...

I have a PIII processor, and some socket A athlons.... but no motherboard for either.

just for grins, say a guy just really wanted to keep his PIII alive, where might ya find a socket 370 mobo? ebay? I'm curious. thanks for any feedback. cheers!

Bill

the intel motherboard is fine

Dante_Caligari said:
I am building a new Conroe system and I was looking at three manufacturers: Asus, DFI, and MSI. So far, I only have this Asus board as a potential.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131030

Any other recommendations? I am going with the E6300, I think, 2GB RAM, and one of the new graphics cards when they come out.

though it seems a bit stout, price wise. I am going to buy this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135214
and deposit my old CPU's in the recycle bin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom