Is AGP really dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shifty2991

Solid State Member
I read somewhere about AGP is dead now, I was planning on buying a new nvidia 6600 AGP but whats the difference between it and PCI (well I did notice the 8x AGP seem to be more expensive..)? Would it be worth it in the long run to just buy a motherboard with PCI slots along with a PCI vid card?

AGP isn't neccessarily dead right now, but it is phasing out. And PCI is even older and is practically dead in terms of graphics cards. It would be worth to get a motherboard with PCI-e (PCI-Express) slots. Which is the current slots for graphic cards.

I agree with b1g. It isn't dead just yet, because there are tons of boards out (on manufacturer's shelves) that have AGP slots. It is getting phased out. Fewer AGP GPU's are being produced. Definitely get a motherboard with PCI-Express if you plan to upgrade later.

Dead? No

Out of date? Yes

PCI-E gpu's? More for the high end gamer.

AGP gpu's? More for the Middle end gamer.

Should I upgrade my AGP gpu? Only if your on a tight budget and want to still play games occasionally.

AGP isnt necissarily dead just yet. Its going to be fossilized soon once the prices drop even more dramaticly with PCI-E systems though. If ur looking to play css or bf2 on high settings just simply upgrade your vid card and your set.

I really do not know what to do. I want to be able to upgrade my system later so PCIe would be the way to go but then I would need a new motherboard that has the slot.....
But do YOU honestly think I should just upgrade the AGP gpu, if I do that just means later I am going to have to buy a new motherboard (since more and more companies are making less AGP compatible boards) when I decide to upgrade, Im so confused :(

Honestly man, go with AGP for now. Give me your latest specs. But id say if u have a good avg AGP system and a decent video card just upgrade your video card to a 6800gt and ull be more than happy with the results. Thats top of the line gaming for the AGP user. And its almost equivelant to someone with a pci-e system that spent like 500 or more on there ****.

Just go on google search for ''6800gt agp benchmarks'' and anything near 60 fps over or near the 1024 x 768 resolution is perfect for gaming.

To give you more specific answers. Just ask more specific questions and ill be more than happy to answer them.

I use AGP therefore it isnt dead....

:)

honestly......upgrade to a 7800gs and you will be fine for a long while.
if you cant afford the 269$ price tag then you are better off with a 6800gs. either way they are both very nice cards. AGP will hold out a little longer!

Yea I use AGP too. But soon I'm going to PCI-e. The 7800GS would probably be the best AGP you can get. I agree with the other guys, on the 6800 series.

Yeah go with AGP, just buy a 7800 if your on a high budget, or 6800 if your on a smaller budget. Its as simple as that. Youll be able to run games on high settings with a bone crunching 60 fps or more easily with ethier card.

Upgrade your Agp card. Only if u have a decent cpu with 1gb of ram and youll be fine.

Happy hunting.

i like how every one says the same thing as the person above them......lol....i dont care....im just bored at school.....and my analytical brain happen to pick that out;.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom