New Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATI-M

Baseband Member
So my dell i got only comes with a 215 watt power supply and I have an ATI-9800 xt video card, so I think I should maybe get a better power supply, And I was wondering which one I should get, And is there any disadvantage to getting a power supplky that supplies like 600 watts per se, Like is there a point where you have too much wattage.

So whats a suggested power supply?

And is there any disadvantage or risk in getting a powerful power supply, thatr supplies like 600 watts for example

IS it like bad if I get alot over what i need? Like say I get a 600 watt but only need like 300? is ahving the extra 600 bad for your computer?

and what is the best brand when it comes to power supplies?

There's no disadvantage or somethin' like that in having a mammoth power supply .... except for the runnin' up of ur electricity bills ;)

True, Well What is a Suggested GOOD quality brand, I want something reliable here,

And I read somewhere that if you bought a namebrand system, you might not be able to change the power supplies, because theya re specially made for that computer only, I have dell 8300 , and I was wondering if any other people that had dells, were able to change out their power supply,

Also, What are some good Brands for Case And System Fans?

And Is it a good idea to upgrade aftermarket case fans, since mine kinda suck, but what are some really good suggested brands,
I saw some nice artiq fans, ?

I'm not sure if Dell still has this problem or not but in my experience, all the Dell systems I've seen use the proprietary Dell motherboard and power supply. This means that when you want to change power supplies you have to buy a new one and switch some of the pins around or buy one specificly made for dell computers (3rd party or otherwise). You system seems pretty high end, the best thing to do is check if your motherboard says Dell anywehre on it. IF it does, you may not be able to change your powersupply.

Stupid OEM's...

Antec makes top notch power supplies and PC cases. There is another brand that's very good - doesn't come to my mind right now. If I remember it, I'll post back here.

Stay away from the el-cheapo brands with el-cheapo prices -- you will be wasting your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom