need advise on new CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

badkitty

In Runtime
ok so i want to upgrade,i've been wanting to for awhile. I've been leaning towards AMD 64 X2 4800.. HERE

I've been using this from toms hardware Tom's chart to compare. I want to spend no more than $250 on the CPU, because the rest of my money is going towards the MB, i just bought the radeon x1900XTX.

My problem is i keep seeing too many differences on why AMD is better and why Intel's core duo is better. Now im sure that FPS in benchmarks dont lie, as ii play all those types of games on their list.

What ,in the longer run, would be better? i do not want to wait for the quad core and 4x4 to come out and drop in price.i have the money NOW and want to do this NOW.

Please only serious advise. thanks.

simple approach...

amd MIGHT have been better in certain areas BEFORE the Conroes came out. Once Conroes came out, all pentiums dropped in price...weakest Conroes match top tier AMDs.

Sweet spot E6600 blows away top AMD at 25% of the cost? Something like that.

:)

All in all, though, Intel, no matter which generation performed floating point better even if random Intel x chip was not as powerful as AMD x.

so how is this one the price i can barely deal with if its WAY better than the AMD x2

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CP2-DUO-E6600&SRCCODE=DATAFEED&CMP=BAC-TOMSHW

there are a few cheaper on ebay...

i am also looking for a MB to go with it.. PCI-E , 4 ddr banks DC of course. at least 2pci slots, sata2 , onboard sound doesnt matter i have X-fi.

there is an auction im watching thats at $270 $15S&H ends in 90mins...if this chip is better..let me know and i'll bid

weekends...makes one lazy to do things, especially check posts, so I apologize for not being more helpful :)

price is good, but check around other "retail" online merchants. Tigerdirect functions too much like brick and mortar rather than a true online store. I think you can escape their state taxation though, though I haven't checked where they apply. Shipping is standard retail shipping, which isn't all that bad but could be better.

When it comes to components like RAM and CPUs, try not to look at auction sites, unless you're shopping for used parts. For example, gauging the e6600, it might cost wholesalers, system builders and the like $289 (but I haven't checked, just guessing). Comparing with legitimate online merchants, you can then determine if a risky and often time shady ebay transaction is worth it.

If you've bid, just good luck and I'm hoping you'll be satisfied. :)

as far as mobos, there are many ways to go. I can easily recommend what I bought, the intel d975xbx...but you could save depending. The intel d975, aka Badaxe, is a top tier mobo. Has all that you are looking for BUT, also gauge for yourself what gpu set up you want.

because of the gpu you bought, the badaxe might fit you perfectly because of it's xfire design, but does also have onboard audio (which btw I believe compares well to the xfi - creative is way overrated :p)

all im wanting to do is go BIG..sort of...i've always gone with combo sales at fry's for upgrades...but i've gotten into new work and making way better money and have alot to spend. Yet i dont want to spend like $200 on a mb either. Im going to have to sell my 2 1gb kingston ddr400 sticks, in order to get my ddr2, i wasnt expecting that cost.

So with my X1900XTX and CPU, whats a nice board to go with that has Intel p975 chipset , PCI-E and 4 ddr slots for around $130. there are soo many different submodels .its hard to really grasp the differences....thanks

oh by the way, i will NOT be doing xfire or sli.

is this MB good for the price..i will not be overclocking either

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813186102&ATT=13-186-102&CMP=OTC-P12ice5can

ya but i've also heard the 965 is newer,despite lower number, and performs alittle better. another thing is what exactly is the difference between 975 and 965 ?

looks to me the p965 offers more features...aside from the 975 stating better performance for GAMING. i dont really see a difference

more info and/or confusion :)

so to get more OR less technical, but to basically provide more "real world" applications. What I posted before was just to the specific chipsets and they just were too technical.

Now this is still technical, but lays it down in motherboard terms. Given the 975 chipset being older, I believe it's datasheet isn't as accurate as it should be, as I have firewire (1394a) but it isn't stated so. And ddr 800 can actually be used with the 975 badaxe but isn't officially a part of the spec. Enjoy! :)

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D975XBX/index.htm
http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DP965LT/index.htm

Now, I'm just using intel references, but you can sub your own. When you use the same brand it's just easier to tell the differences (if any).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom