Do I need speakers to plug headphones in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striken

Baseband Member
My speakers died, and I want to hear sound from my computer (imagine that). I'm just wondering why, or if, I need a set of speakers to transfer sound to me if I just want to use headphones instead for a time.

I tried plugging them into the speaker jack on the back of the PC and got no sound out of it. I'm not surprised, but I am wondering what the reason for this is.

The drivers are still intact. Why can't they communicate with the headphones just as a set of speakers? I understand I wouldn't be able to change the volume.

the headphones should work because theyre what im usin right now!
are you shure it is not ur soundcard/drivers

I ran a diagnostic program that was included with my Creative audio driver. It all passed. I am almost sure the drivers are fine. The speakers were aging.

It should work exactly the same as speakers. Unless the phones are bad too or something. I assume you used phones you know are good and the volume is up. There is a setting under sounds and audio devices where you can change the type of speaker you have connected, but it really shouldn't matter, that just kind of tweaks the sound quality.

As superdave said, it should be completely plug-and-play. I normally have my speakers connected and connect headphones instead when it's late. Same plug.

1) Make sure sound isn't muted or turned off, both in Windows and in your headphones (if applicable).
2) Check you're plugging into the correct hole on to the sound card or the motherboard audio port.
3) Verify the headphones are working. Just try them somewhere else.

Well the headphones DID work when I plugged them into the sound card this time. Thanks guys. I learned something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom