bit of a dumb question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

goo_lav

Beta member
this is abit random but is it ok to put a pc close to a sub woofer/ speaker? or should i get out the room for even asking that?
cheers
andy

i want to stick it on top of a 220w home cinema sub woofer - just to make some space and keep it out of the all the crap that collect under my desk, u reckon it'll be sorted?
cheers for the advice btw
andy

goo_lav said:
i want to stick it on top of a 220w home cinema sub woofer - just to make some space and keep it out of the all the crap that collect under my desk, u reckon it'll be sorted?
cheers for the advice btw
andy
220W isn't huge, so I'd say it will be fine

It depends on the quality of the speaker and how well it is magnetically shielded. You may have problems with data corruption on the harddrives, as they are extremely sensitive to magnetic fields.

I'd keep it about three feet away or so.

ye i was kinda thinkin that - cant see why it would be shielded - its a mid range panasonic but has no reason to be shielded i dont think

I wouldn't say hard drives are extremely sensitive. they are built to be pretty strong (though that doesn't mean you can treat them roughly)

the case should also give some shielding.

that being said, he hasn't got a hugely powerful sub.

dude there will be no problems at all i have my entire home entertainment system next to my computer which is on a table.
p.s. please dont say cheers anymore r u english?

I would be more concerned about the vibration than the magnetic field. The magnet isn't strong enough to do anything unless it comes REALLY close to the H/D. I have heard tall tales about refrigerator magnets on your case causing problems. That's BS. The magnet has to be VERY strong and be VERY close to the drive to do damage. We aren't talking about a cassette tape here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom