x1950xtx and E6600 Safe temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetlow_63

Baseband Member
Basically, I am looking to overclock my GPU and CPu, an MSI x1950XTX watercooled edition and an E6600. What temps can they safely be pushed to?

well your video card shouldnt be anywhere near bad... but it shouldnt reach over 50-60 degrees idol temps

and your cpu shouldnt be over 40-50 degrees idol

My e6600 (overclocked to 3.3 ghz) is idle just under 30 degrees. 28 - 31 if the room is hot.

But thats with a sonic tower on it... with stock cooling you might find it hard to get it beyond 3 ghz stable.

Ive (accidentally) had my e6600 up to 84 degrees... (stock heat sink fan broke!)... but as 60 degrees is their rated max temp id not take it beyond that. (but with a good air cooler 3.4 - 3.5 ghz is within reach keeping under 60 at load) and i have even heard of some doing 3.6 on air!
Dont get a sonic tower... cooling is great... but installation is just nothing short of dangerous to your motherboard.

Nice setup btw. - You just wont really need to o/c that graphics card much for todays games... that thing will pump out serious frame rates at stock!
Hope this helps

Max2559 said:
My e6600 (overclocked to 3.3 ghz) is idle just under 30 degrees. 28 - 31 if the room is hot.

But thats with a sonic tower on it... with stock cooling you might find it hard to get it beyond 3 ghz stable.

Ive (accidentally) had my e6600 up to 84 degrees... (stock heat sink fan broke!)... but as 60 degrees is their rated max temp id not take it beyond that. (but with a good air cooler 3.4 - 3.5 ghz is within reach keeping under 60 at load) and i have even heard of some doing 3.6 on air!
Dont get a sonic tower... cooling is great... but installation is just nothing short of dangerous to your motherboard.

Nice setup btw. - You just wont really need to o/c that graphics card much for todays games... that thing will pump out serious frame rates at stock!
Hope this helps

wow, thats a lie, i had it at 3.0 ghz stable enough to play games and run 3dmark05 while leaving the computer on 24/7 with the stock hsf... easy to keep it stable, and i didnt even have to raise the voltage.. i guess it all depends on stepping.. maybe i got a good one :D .....

wow, thats a lie, - Which exact part are you refering to? .... If you are saying that the e6600 will go much past 3ghz and STILL be stable then im surprised. My e6600 would not go past 3 ghz (on stock cooling) and keep the temp below the 70's. (Perhaps it may have been able to run benchs ok at 3.2 then... but with temps like that id deem it an unstable solution as a 5 degree change in ambient temperature would mean that the cpu could hit the 80's.... which is flat out dangerous. Plus... the rated temp for the e6600 is 60 degrees... so when i say "stable" i not only mean that it will run synthetic benchmarks, but that the temperature is also appropriate.... and that there is no danger there.
If you get a e6600 up to 3.2 Ghz with stock cooling and it isnt in the 65 - 70 degrees range under full load your a magician.

But then again... what you even reading this for... im a liar... apparently ;-P

well before everything got all screwed up with my thermal paste i had checked my temp in bios directly after playing some cs for a couple hours and was only at 49 degrees celcius (yes i know still high for checking bios) i can't check any other way though, because no programs recognize the sensor on my board.. so i have no way of telling you what temp i am at, at full load...

and sorry bout the liar part, that was just about the hard to reach higher clocks part.... because it's not very hard to get high at all.. yes, i understand that it will get hot at those clocks.. but doesnt mean its not stable or anything.. i've already hit 3.44 ghz on stock hsf.. though all i did was run super pi then shut it off...
anyway, sorry for the @ss remark, i didnt mean it that way

No probs... Interesting that you got so far with Stock HS and fan... however... now that i think about it my heatsink was hardly ever running at full speed... it woudl spin up fully aon system start.. and then would spin at about 1200 rpm. The day it died it just stopped after a few hours while i was away from the desk. - And when i got back i checked (as one does with new bits) how things were looking. 84 degrees. The fan just stopped and the CPU started sweating. I think if i could have got the stock h/s fan running at full speed... (V.noisey) might have been able to do a lot more than i managed. - What do you use to control the speed>? Plus... get speed fan... (if you havent already) and this will be good for monitoring your temps.

ya.. i've tried speedfan and everest... both don't show cpu temp... well speedfan does, but says its at -77 degrees... i made a thread on it before.....

as for this stock heatsink, i'm throwing it out for the heatsink right below yours.. the scythe ninja w/fan... i'll be back to overclocking once i get that, because i don't feel to safe with this crappy stock hsf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom