Computer Recommendation - Video Editing + Future Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heineken77

Beta member
Hi Guys,

Well I'm looking to get a new computer before Christmas and would love some advice! I'd also be interested in the differences between the G5/G6 apples and dual processor PCs. Do the G5s/G6s run windows or other window based software? Would it be worth it to buy a g5 or 6 to edit and just keep my current pc? - I currently have a 2.5ghz Intel Celeron computer with 566mhz. I live in Toronto Canada, and here is some more information in order to help you to see my situation and give me the best advice.

- I want a system that will flawlessly and very easily edit High Definition video. I have a sony HC3 High Def camcorder. Would like it to be able to handle the load without any issues of slow down, and mabye even use the internet and other programs while the computer captures the video without any slow down at all.

- Don't need a monitor or printer, just the box.

- Would like the computer to be able to easily handle 64-bit programs, as well as Windows Vista with EASE ((if I go PC rather than mac)) ,,, Also not sure if AMD or intel is the way to go.

- Don't normally play games, but wouldn't mind a system that can handle games flawlessly as well IN CASE i decided to buy one...however seeing as I am not a big gamer, I am not looking to spend 5000 for a system good for games but waste that money because I never play them.

- Would like to have ways to play/pause live tv. would be cool..but again, not a deal breaker as I probably wouldn't use it.

- Would like to have a DVD burners that use light scribe ((burns labels onto disc) Not a deal breaker either.

- Would like lots of memory, BIG hard drive (300-500gb), and anything else recommended for HDV editing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I found one PC at future shop - HP Pavilion Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz Media Center TV Computer.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro... 078151&catid=
----------------------------------------------------------------------
However to my knowlege it does not support 64bit processing. It is $1399 + tax in Canadian funds.

FINALLY - I keep hearing things like hyperthreading, conroe, 64bit, dual processors ((even quad)), intel core due extreme edition. Woudl like a system that is top of the line at around the $2000 Canadian Fund range give or take.

Also, any direction as to where to buy would be fantastic!

Thank you kindly!!

I know I'm only answering one of your many questions, but I do believe that E6400 system you posted a link to does support 64 bit processing. I think all Core 2 Duos do.

By the way, your link doesnt work from my point of view.

Yea the link doesn't work.........Following on what ralli said. Yes the E6400 is 64-bit as well as mostly all the other current processors are 64-bit too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Theres no such a thing as "G6" from apple. theres only G5 and Intel Mac. I have both Mac G5 and AMD PC. Mac is great for ppl who doesn't want to worry about technical thing about computers and It's stable as ****. OS X is solid. it never crashes whatever you do. (mb it crashes once or twice a year.) Mac is great for 2D apps and Music apps. PC (intel Core duo) is gerat for 3D and video apps. but you probablly have to use Windows XP...such a drag... but video editing is what you want to do so I'd recommend getting Intel Core Duo PC.

1) Would an Apple G5 do better for hd video editing and gaming than a PC with an intel core 2 duo 6700 or extreme x6800 processor?

2) What if I ran Windows on an Apple G5, or a hack to allow me to run windows software on the Apple, would I lose performance rather than just purchasing a PC to run the software?

3) Is Apple's G5 processor better than a core 2 extreme 6800 processor seeing as it has a quad processor? Is the G5 the fastest thing around?

4) Can I get a G5 for $2500-3000 canadian taxes in?

5) If I decided to go the PC route and build my own PC, have one built for me, or purchase one at an online store, for about 2500-3000$ canadian taxes in could I get:

* x6800 core 2 duo
* High end video card to deal with the hd editing and games (any recommendations here? I hear there are dual video cards out now...is this necessary or recommended?)
* 300-500gig 7200rpm HD (btw..what is SATA)
* 2gb DDR2 - 800 Memory (best type you can get? - Overkill? - Any recommendations)
* DVD-RW (Possibly Lightscribe)
* DVD-Rom/CD Burner
* Whatever else you recommend as I have never built or puchased a high end unit before.

Any advice on where to purchase or any particular model you recommend?

7) Finally, are the G5s and the PC possibilities hopefully some could give insight to all highly upgradeable, so I don't have to worry about not having the ability to add extra things like: lots of memory, future video card upgrade, etc.

Thanks again!!!!

Please skip the previous post of mine.

I dived in and took a chance.

Found a great deal on the following:

AMD 64 x2 5000+
2gb DDR2 SDRam
320GB Hard-Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE

I decided to go this route because it was a lot cheaper than the prices that I have been seeing, and when talking it over with the Fiancee, I decided that the money I wanted to spend on a 'super computer' could do better in other areas in our lives until a year or two later lol

So the question is, will this more than suffice to edit HD that I capture with my HDR-HC3?

Thank you! :)

Intel core duo is way better for your needs. and could be able to build around $1500 or less. and its better to get 2 seperate drives for storage and working drive. mb like 2x 250G and 320G for storage.

you didnt order it did you!!!!??? if not then go intel core 2 duo, you can get the E6600 model for right around there that will beat that one to the ground when it comes to video editing. pared with 2gb of ram. you would be good to go. like around 1200 dollars. maybe a little less.

honestly, even though this is a little more expensive, i would get a new 24" imac with 2gb ram and a 2.33ghz core 2 duo and a 7600 gt and 500gb hd, goes for around $2750. just more reliable for something like that to me. that may change when vista arrives but i would trust os x for hd editing any day over xp. just my opinion. =)

Doh!

Well I did buy the AMD lol .... BUT... I bought it from Best Buy for $999.00 Canadian + Tax. I can return it within 2 weeks I believe and I will if I can find a Core 2 Duo at or around the same range give or take.

If someone could help me build one online I would be very greatful! I found a link where you can build one yourself with the various options they give you. I also wrote a list out below to show you some of the preferences that I would like, as well as the things that I don't know about and need help with as I have never built a computer before.

I would like to have a computer that will far outperform the AMD x2 5000+ I got today, and hopefully do great video editing in HD if I shy away from the Apple. Really hoping to keep to budget now.

The link to the site can be found HERE and the list of my preferences are below.

P.S. If anyone knows of a cheaper site or a reputable dealer with options you can hopefully help me pick out I would be extremely greatful!!!

• Case: Not Sure Which One to Choose
  • CPU: Core 2 Duo E6700
  • HSF: ???
  • Motherboard: Would like one that I can change video card when the DirectX10 comes out, as well as add memory. Not sure which one to choose.
  • RAM: 2GB DDR2 (Or whatever is recommended for high definition video editing...and hopefully I'd like to add more in the future)
  • Hard Drive: 2 Drives as recommended for video editing. Not sure which ones are good nor do I know what 2 sizes you recommend.
  • Floppy: Cheapest or none
  • Video Card: Good GeForce card (or whatever you recommend) that will work good for HD video editing until DirectX10 comes out and I buy a new one.
  • Modem: None
  • Rom Drive: Don't think I need one?
  • Sound Card: On Board is Fine
    [*]Network Card: Whatever is recommended. Don't need wireless or bluetooth.
    [*]Keyboard: Standard
    [*]Monitor: None
    [*]OS: WinXP ((Not sure if I have to buy it with CPU tho))
    [*]Speakers: None
    [*]Mouse: None
    [*]CD-RW: Would like a DVD-RW with light scribe which will write to CDs too. Something good for the average guy.
    [*]Printer: None
    [*]Power Supply: None if one comes with case you recommend.
    [*]Cooling: Whatever you recommend
    [*]Accessories: None
    [*]TV Turners: None

Thank you so much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom