kvm switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankieee

Baseband Member
So I'm looking for a good personal kvm switch with usb connections. I'd like to spend $150 CAD, taxes in.

Suggestions? Links? Advice?

you could probably find one on newegg. However, avoid the cheaper ones at least you should be paying 60-80 dollars on newegg, otherwise some KVM switches give you ghosting (or at least some that I have experience with). I'm not sure if the newer (yet still cheap) KVM switches still have this problem but as of 1 1/2 - 2 years ago the problem existed for me in several units.

Thanks guys.

Mike, I think I'll only be working on 2-3 pcs/laptops at a time as I have many projects on the go and I don't want to spread myself too thin. Am I heading in the right direction as far as pricing goes?

Modemide, yes I think its a good option to get the ghosting just incase... but I must let you know that we use altiris on our network so its for the stragglers that require more attention with configs.

Any specific brands to look for?

you need to decide what kind of features you want also. KVM have these special options:

-USB
-audio switching
-dual/multiple head monitor switching (you can run multiple/ dual monitor switching with some KVM)

if you want something cheap for $50 you can get an IOgear 2 port PS2 switch. anthing over 2 ports or with USB is a lot more expensive

I'd like usb functionality and ps2 with dual monitor switching for $150 CAD. 2 to 3 ports.

How does the audio switching work?

same way ps2 and video switching, when you click the switch you get sound from the other computer, when you switch back, you get sound from the previous :-/

Dont get it. I understand the concept for dual monitor switching for 1 monitor. If you have 2 pc's with 2 video cards, it's still only 1 monitor for output. If you have 2 sound cards on 2 different pcs, where is the output device? Is it with the same set of speakers? You'll have to go into further detail about that one...

ok ... well you understand ps2 kb and mouse.
That is, you have two computers, they have wires from their kb/mouse area that go to the switch. In addition you have your wires from the mouse and kb that go to your kvm. So, when you hit the switch you are controlling the other computer. Likewise when you have your monitors plugged into the switch, and you have monitor cables from the computers to the kvm switch you can switch back and forth between video inputs. This concept also applies to sound. you plug the output wires from your sound card to the KVM for both computers, then when you are switched to one of the computers you will be recieving sound from that particular one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom