adding a monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roderick

Beta member
hello all, i have a question, i have a quadro fx 3400 and atm one 19 inch LCD and a 17 inch LCD, i'm looking into buying a 30" dell LCD and i would like to keep my 19 inch hooked up. Now i know the dell takes 2 ports and i can't drop the money for another quadro in SLI. So, can i add say , a 7900 gt (not SLI)? Would there be any driver issues? thanks for your help.

WELCOME TO TECH FORUMS!! *fanfare plays happy tune*

wait why does the dell take two ports. i think it has a dvi-d or d-sub input, you can use either but not both at the same time. and if i read right you want to keep your quadro and add an additional 7900gt on the same mobo. i dont think thats possible.

thanks for your reply. yeah the dell 30 incher does take up two dvi ports. i was searching for some more info and came across this thread

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/unmatched-cards-SLI-mobo-SLI-config-ftopict201978.html
heres a snipet
IF you arent running SLI then YES you can run two diff video cards even if they're ati on any motherboard with more than one pci x16 slot. will they display a diff image?...NO...BUT you can extend your desktop to that display or choose whichever one you want to make the main display. How do i know this?well because i'm building rack mount 3u machines for a company that requires a x800gt and an nvidia video card...they're being built on A8N-SLI Deluxe and i've done four of them so far. SO YES...HAVE FUN....but if you're going to use the 7950 i'd make that video card the main display for your games...then extend your desktop to the monitor connected to the 7600gt and drag ur applications over into that window so that you can use them there....while you game on the 7950 =)

If this is possible, then will I see the same thing on both screens? i.e. same icons? windows and such? or will it act the same as when you hook up two screens to the same card (As an extension of the screen)? Also does anyone know if there would be any driver problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom