buying our new desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bytes777

Solid State Member
My family is buying a new computer soon. I have a pretty hefty knowledge of computers (there's a technician in the family), but I'd like to have an expert's advice. We are looking for something moderately priced, but a good brand. i'm not too crazy about AMD, so I'm kinda leaning towards anything but. We want a computer that can play any kind of games (ie:sims), play music, have microsoft word, be compatible with most software and work well with internet high speed connections. If this is too vague, please ask me to be more specific by asking questions. Thanks!

what's your price range?

BTW, there's nothing wrong with AMD. they had the performance crown for about 5 years before June, and probabbly will again when they release K8L

usually pentiums are compatible with everything... price range: anything beneath $1000. not looking for state-of-the art. just something that will play music, games, and most media stuff.

So are Athlon 64s. That statement in itself was rather uninformed, especially since Intel has basically admitted that the Core arch is the new big thing, since it kicks the Athlon, which kicks the Pentium family. Also, they use the same architecture, it's not like Windows/software sees an AMD proc and goes "OH NOES CAN'T RUNZORS!!!1"

well, i'm looking at limewire, java and other programs that I use and they all recommend a pentium...

bytes777 said:
well, i'm looking at limewire, java and other programs that I use and they all recommend a pentium...

explodinghead2bn.gif

PENTIUM-CLASS OR HIGHER!!!

That's Athlon 64, Core arches, Sempron, Celeron, anything in that family. You call yourself well-versed in computers yet you cannot figure out something that simple? You're also willing to compromise computing power because you can't reason this thing out?

hey, i don't got a degree, ok! when my friends have a problem with their home computers, I'm the one they call, hehe. but thanks anyway, i appreciate the advice. just don't yell at me *tear*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom