New hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricket Temper

Beta member
I an thinking of getting a better hard drive since mine is really to slow for the system I have. (ATA 100 5600 RPM to a SATA 150 7200 RPM)

The problem I am haveing is that I want to just trasfer the files from my current HD to the new one but have no idea how. My only copy of win xp is on this old drive because it came with my computer when I bought it. I really don't want to have to buy a new copy of XP just so I can have a better HD.

If you guys have any ideas as to how to do this transfer It would be a great help.

Thax

you should have a windows xp cd and serial number which will allow you to install windows on the new HDD.
Otherwise you'll have to use something like norton ghost to make an image of your hard disk and put that on your new drive... i think that would work.

No I don't have a cd the computer didn't come with one when I bought it. It just has a sticker on the case with the product key on it.

I will look into ghost maybe that would work.

Kricket

You can call the company from which you purchased the computer and they will send you the windows xp cd if you give them the serial number and model of your computer over the phone so they can check that you indeed ordered windows xp from them with the computer. Just call the computer manufacture who makes your machine, they will send you the cds. Otherwise you can use Norton Ghost... but its always nice to have a fresh install without all the crap you have sitting around from a few years of use.

I think as soon as your warrenty runs out like the 90 day warrenty or whatever, you can't get it sent to you unless you pay. You can get a small program that will show you your windows serial number, I know www.techtv.com had one, but I just searched and couldn't find it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom