RAM help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahon

Beta member
I have an old.. at least 5 year old computer.
It's an Intel P4 2.4 GHZ. My motherboard is manufactured by Dell. It's an Intel i850E, which is some kind of generic crap. It only has 2 channels. [Dual] This motherboard is so old that it only supports RDRAM, I believe. I don't know the difference between RDRAM and the other types, but my 512 MB of RAM is PC800 RDRAM, which I think is pretty terrible.

Do I need to get a new motherboard so I can get a different type of RAM? RDRAM seems outdated to me.. and it's still really expensive. Also, having more channels available would be great. I could put more RAM into my computer this way.

I've looked at some things on newegg, but with my lack of knowledge I'm afraid I may buy something that won't be compatible with my system.

These are the three things I've looked at:

Motherboard

Power Supply

RAM

Would these choices work out together and be compatible with my current system? I'm afraid I'll buy everything and I'll find out that the motherboard won't go into my computer.

If you read this and can help me out.. then I really, really appreciate it. I know nothing about RAM and the such. If you have any suggestions, by all means, please share them.

That motherboard is the new socket, so you would have to replace the CPU also.

There is no real point of upgrading. If you want a better system, just buy an entirely new system.

Thanks for the input.

If I'm going to need a new PC.. what would you reccomend in the $900-1500 price range? Desktop or Laptop? I just want a computer that can produce music efficiently. Whenever I load up like 3 instances of VSTs in my Fruity Loops my CPU gets hit hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom