SP2 Installation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

meefle

In Runtime
So my friend just got a laptop off another one of his friends but it had everything installed on it still. So he wiped the hd and installed a fresh copy of windows. The windows was only SP1 and is a real copy of windows. For some reason when he installs service pack 2, the installation freezes on "Checking Product Key." He doesnt know much about PCs since this is his first and hes only worked with MACs and i've never had this problem before. Please help!

SP2 wont install on non legit systems. Unless you can find a workaround for it, which cant be discussed here, you are kinda outta luck.

what do u mean non-legit systems. Hes got a dell inspiron 6000 notebook and a copy he got of windows home edition (which i think came with the notebook.)

meefle said:
The windows was only SP1 and is not a real copy of windows.
That is what i mean by non-legit system. If it was legit it would pass the "Checking Product Key." phase and continue installing.;)

wow i totally didnt mean to put that. I was goin to say not a counterfieted copy then just put windows. Sry about the misunderstandin. It is a genuine windows copy and is a real windows copy.

It could be that the SP2 is still trying to install. Just that you are not giving it enough time. What are the specs of the laptop?

Intel Pentium M 1.8Ghz, 1 GB memory, Intel onboard graphics (GM100 or something like that). 80GB harddrive, DVD±RW 8x drive. ITs a Dell inspiron 6000. I though he wasnt givin it enough time either but when he presses cancel, it says the program is not responding. He waited about 40 minutes or so and it stayed in the same spot before he pressed cancel too.

Is he getting SP2 from Windows update? Has he tried the SP2 CD?

He can order it i believe and then just use the CD to update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom